1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Growl, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Growl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all, hi! I've been a lurker on this forum for quite a while now but today I finally decided to register. I just want to say that I'm not a native speaker, so bear with me.

Anyways, I could really use some advice right now. Over the past few months I've come out to a few of my friends, and I think it might be time to tell my parents.

I'm pretty sure they already know I'm gay. My mum even asked me if I liked girls about two months back (I panicked and denied it), and a few weeks later she asked me if I was dating a female friend of mine (I'm not. No idea where that came from). I know they'll still love me if I tell them, and that they'll be supportive, but I just don't know how. The thing I hate about coming out isn't people knowing, it's the awkwardness after I tell them. I'm a pretty shy person and I absolutely hate opening up to people and talking about ~feelings~ and stuff, so yeah. I really don't think I can tell them in person.

That's why I'm considering just sending them an email. Just say "Hey, I'm pretty sure you already know this, but guess what! I'm gay!". Something like that. I dunno.

I guess I'm not sure if that would be too impersonal. So yeah. Thoughts?

Sidenote: I was actually thinking about sending them this a few days ago. Probably not a good idea though :icon_wink

[YOUTUBE]The Gay Song - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

2. i never told my parents face to face, like you i hate talking about feelings and the awkwardness that might follow. i told one by letter and one by email, so then it was easier for me.

come out when youre ready and how you feel comfortable, its good your parents are supportive :slight_smile:

3. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    If you don't like the idea of coming out face-to-face, there is nothing wrong with coming out through letter, email, phone call, or even text message. The reason that some people chose to come out this way is because it's easier to put down all of your thoughts into text.

4. Ianthe

"I'm gay but I'm not really ready to talk about it yet," is fine, since you know they will be accepting.

Just tell them in whatever way is easiest for you. If you were worried about their reaction, there would be reason to tell them more carefully, but since they are clearly going to be okay with it, and email saying whatever will be fine.

5. Growl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I'll just send them an email once my exams are over. It's kind of scary though :l

6. KiddlesP

Although I found the video very funny, if your parents are not accepting of lesbians then you might want to hold off on that... not exactly suddle. However if they are very open, they might cry (happiness I hope) when they see it... now if only there was a way that when they open your email it will explode with glitter and rainbows... ... if only if only... :dry:

#6 KiddlesP, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012