1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm feeling selfish

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wayfarer, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Wayfarer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The more I thought about this, the more I'm turned off the idea of coming out any time soon.

Basically, I've decided to take coming out one step at a time, and I'm working towards telling someone. I was going to tell my best friend - who I know would be fine with it - but I'd rather tell my parents first, because I feel like they deserve to know. Anyway, I was kind of preparing myself to tell them soon.

But then very recently, my uncle-in-law got really sick which has upset my Mum's side of the family in particular quite a bit. The thing is, I don't want to seem selfish and do something so 'huge' as coming out when he and his family are going through such a rough time due to extremely serious consequences. I don't want to be selfish.

Maybe this sounds dumb by the way I've explained it, but I'm still really unsure as to what to do. Do I wait until my Uncle's situation (hopefully) gets better, or should I rip the band-aid off quickly and get it done and over with like I planned to?

Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Ianthe

I think you should tell your friend first. I don't think it's true that your parents have the right to know, and it will be easier for you once you have the support of at least one person to depend on. Even accepting parents sometimes have to go through a difficult emotional process, which can be hard on you.

Come out to your friend immediately, and then think about when and how to come out to your parents.

3. Silvails52

Family is always harder to tell than friends. Believe me, I know that feeling that they deserve to know. BUT if you're still living with them, then you'll have to deal with them everyday. Your family is going through a tough time right now. If you tell them now, there's a higher chance they will react negatively. Wait until this cools off first.

I think that you should tell your friend. You will feel loads better for telling him (or her).

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

If you're ready to come out, then you don't necessarily have to significantly delay doing it because of your uncle's illness.

How do you think your parents will react? If it will be a big deal, then it probably is a good idea to wait. Otherwise, if you're fairly sure that they will not have a hard time accepting your orientation, you can still come out sooner rather than later. Just be somewhat smart about the timing (e.g. don't tell them when they've already spent half the day arguing with relatives over the phone).

I also agree with the others that coming out to your friend first will be a good idea. It's always good to have someone who will support you.

#4 Tetraquark, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
  5. TrueBlue8228

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :thumbsup:

Same here. You definitely want that support there incase (god forbid) things don't work out in telling your folks.

Sorry to hear about your Uncles illness. Hope everything works out well!

Best of luck!

TB