1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Silvails52, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Silvails52

Note: This is going to be long. I had a lot to put down, but it felt so good!

I've had a strange senior year in high school. Stranger than most. That was the year I figured out I'm gay. Up until then, I thought I was straight. I liked a couple girls, but I only had one relationship.

She was pretty much everything I wanted in a girl. Cute, funny, can be serious, and I could actually talk to her (something I can't do normally). But her three boyfriends before me all turned out gay. I don't feel too bad for her, she just seems attracted to gays. Anyways, it all started last December.

I was out with the choir for a field trip. I was feeling really upset from the musical cast list and my friend (he's gay) comforted me during lunch. We were hanging out for a little while and my stomach flipped and my heart fluttered. Also, my brain froze. I couldn't think of a word to say. That normally happened with girls I liked, but I wrote that off as just being socially awkward.

Once I figured out it was a crush, I freaked out. How could I like a guy? I confided in another friend and she suggested that I tell him. After weeks of telling myself I would get over him, I gave up. I finally told him. He wasn't sure how to react. It took him a few days to get back to me, and those few days were torture for me. When he did get back to me, he said he thought I was attracted to our friendship, not who he is. It took me a month and a half after that for the feelings to go away.

I met another gay online, and I felt something for him. It felt exactly like one of the crushes I got for a girl. I couldn't believe it. I had feelings for a guy! I thought for a minute that it couldn't be anything. Later on, I developed strong feelings for another guy in the choir (he doesn't even know what he likes, but we're sure he's gay). I started to accept the fact that I liked guys.

I started hanging out with him and dropping hints that I liked him. I finally told him. Unfortunately, he said he was flattered, but he didn't see me in that light. Again, it took two months for that to go away. Along the way, I felt a spark for a guy I met at a freshman day at college. Then, I knew.

I was gay. Or at least, bi. I knew that these feelings weren't normal for a straight guy. I had talked to a few of my closest friends to help relieve all the stress I was feeling. Every single one of them was accepting and supportive of me. They listened patiently to my rants and offered advice on how to get through it. I don't know what I would have done without them.

Now, I'm headed to college, looking forward to finding my first boyfriend (even though my family strongly disagrees with that). I thought about telling them a few times, but it never happened. Probably won't until I move out for good. I'm happy with who I am. It was rough, but I wouldn't give that up for anything.

Thanks for reading!

2. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Glad you learned more about yourself :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing!

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Seems like you are going in the right direction :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing

4. DanA

That was a really cute story, thanks for putting that out there :grin:

I know that flipped stomach feeling :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Wow that's great! Just keep going, it sounds like you're on the right track to discovering who you are :slight_smile:

6. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hay man, yeah it's a difficult journey, but once you've made it on the other side, it feels so revitalizing and wonderfully new, that there isn't a chance in hell that one would give that up. Thanks for sharing, and I really do hope you get a guy that loves you as much as you love him, heavens forbid, you really need that right now.

7. Night Rain

If you haven't come out to your family, how do you know they'll disagree? Are they openly homophobic or something?
    Anyway, good luck on your journey! :grin: