1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't want to believe/accept that i'm a lesbian..?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mes1995, Jul 1, 2012.

1. mes1995

I know i am attracted to girls but it's like part of me knows this & accepts it, but then part of me just cant accept that i'm gay and thinks its a choice (most of my relatives are jehovahs witnesses)

has anyone else gone through this & do you have any advice? :icon_sad:
    it's taking a toll on me..

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be real hard on myself because I was trying to figure out when I chose to like girls. So, for me, I automatically I thought it was a logical choice that I made when I was seven. I honestly don't remember when I became gay, it came natural for me to find women attractive even when I was really young. I denied my feelings and I regret it =/ I'm not a religious person, but don't allow religion to dictate how you truly feel. I've embraced being gay, women are beautiful, so what's not to like.

3. Sherri

I know this feeling. I was raised Southern Baptist, and nobody hates homosexuals more than Southern Baptists >_<. Except maybe Westboro Baptists, but those people are just frighteningly ignorant.

At any rate, it really is something that you eventually come to terms with. For me, it was part of a larger opening of my mind. I realized a lot of things in a very short time, and came to accept them. I realized I'd never felt any kind of connection or closeness to this God I'd been seeking since I was a child. I realized the world wouldn't end and I wouldn't be damned to Hell for moving in with my boyfriend before we got married, or having sex with him. I realized I found girls just as attractive as guys, if only physically for the most part.

Just breathe (*hug*). Give yourself time to adjust to it all. You know it isn't a choice. People will try and tell you that you don't have to choose to give into your urges, and that they are wrong. You know this isn't the case. I've had Christians compare homosexual urges to alcoholic urges or gambling urges, and that's so wrong. Love should never be compared to destructive activities like being an alcoholic or problem gambler. You aren't hurting anybody by liking girls instead of boys. Don't let them guilt you for it.

4. LookingtoAffirm

Its ok I'm in the same place except with being gay, its hard at times but it won't last forever

5. mes1995

Thanks everyone for your replies & advice.It feels like i am starting to accept that i am gay and get rid of the belief that being gay is a choice.

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I know exactly how you feel, for the longest time I didn't want to accept that I was anything but straight, but the more you deny those feelings, the more they kind of eat at you. I think this is a very normal thing to feel because we are all brought up in a society that automatically expects that everyone is straight. When watching tv, even the commercials, there aren't many things geared towards us. So it can be really hard at first, but it will eventually get better, the comfortable you become with yourself!

7. laras

Good luck on finding yourself *hugs*