1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why SHOULDN'T I come out through text?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by King, Jul 2, 2012.

1. King

King Guest

I'd legitimately like reasons.
    Because ultimately, I need to tell my two brothers, and then I'm out. I'm sitting beside my phone right now, that I could easily come out with, and end all my worry and stress and despair.
    But it seems most people suggest face-to-face, or a hand-written letter. I'm one to be all for whatever works for the person coming out, yet I don't seem to be coming out the easiest way for me.
    So, thoughts?

King xx

2. Mercuree

I think when it comes to personal relationships like that, it is only fair to do it face to face. What does your sister think? I realise that it is easier to say things over text, but ultimately the consequences will be the same regardless of which method you use, so why not do it properly, face to face?

3. King

King Guest

I greatly appreciate your response.
    What does my sister think about telling my brothers? I'm not sure. I told her I needed to tell them and she just shrugged it off. The main problem I'm having is the relationship my brothers and I have. It's hard to explain, but a text message, I feel, would be sufficient to what our relationship is.
    Also,

Just to clarify, and not to argue, why do you consider face-to-face the proper way?
    Thanks,

King x

4. Sayu

You can come out any way you want :thumbsup: I also find text messages/skype chat etc. conversations much easier when coming out. If I could only come out face to face, I would be much more in the closet than I'm now. So if you find this comfortable, go ahead, it's no one's business but yours :icon_wink The vital thing is that you'll actually come out, not how :slight_smile:

5. Rinto

Rinto Guest

If I were you, I'd choose a more direct approach to this. I came out to most of the people of my life who knew I'm bisexual through text (phone and instant messages) and all I got was support through text too. It somehow meant more lengthy explanations and misunderstood situations. So, I really would prefer face-to-face confrontation about this.

6. rainbowfox

well for me, observing peoples reaction in detail, raise of an eyebrow or a kind supportive smile, is important. cause these things will tell you more than words :slight_smile: so I prefer face to face coming out :slight_smile:

7. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my roommates via text, everything was fine. Nothing bad happened.

It's suggested that you be there phyically to tell them because then you can see their reaction and they are more likely to have a good reaction because they can see your reaction to their reaction to you coming out lol

Honestly though, If you just need to get it over with like I did. Do what feels most comfortable! If that means texting then do it! The only difference will be that you might need to bring it up again if you want to talk about it, and that will still probably be difficult (but less so).

8. secretguyX

You can come out however you'd like... I personally prefer face to face, because it's more sincere. I only have come out to one person over text (because he lives in a different state), which was fine, but not my favorite approach. But if it's easiest for you to come out over phone/text, then go ahead. Good luck! :thumbsup:

9. Ianthe

If texting is the way you want to do it, do it that way. You know your brothers better than we do, and what would be best for your relationships with them.

The one thing I might recommend is sending them a text first and wait for a response, so that you know they have their phone and it's on and everything, and then texting them coming out. That will usually reduce the amount of time you have to wait for their reply. (The suspense can be really awful.)

How were you thinking of wording the text?

10. DanA

Oh for sure do what Ianthe suggested... the suspense is an emotional rollercoaster where just every scenerio imaginable runs through your head waiting for a response.

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have come out by text on several occassions, I agree the suspense can be bad, but otherwise I dont think there is anything wrong with doing it that way.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As it was mentioned above, there isn't a right or wrong way to come out. If you want to send a text, send a text and let your brothers know. Maybe give it some thought as to how you want to phrase the text....

13. julia

I came out to my sister through text, I was far too scared to do it face to face. The outcome was positive, and it was so, so much easier that way. There's no right or wrong way to come out, whatever you feel best. If you don't feel comfortable yet to do it face to face, then don't.

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should do what makes you comfortable?
    Once you text that your gay you can talk to your brothers face to face about. The text is just what gets the door open is all

15. moval

Either way you choose to do it is fine. But I guess your actual question is, which way would be best for you? If you don't have a close relationship with one or both of your brothers and they wouldn't be upset about you texting it to them, just test it. If you feel that you guys are close and they would be supportive of it, it would probably mean more to not only you, but them as well if you did it face to face. But coming out is not just hard on the person doing it. It can also be hard for the person hearing the news. I told my closer brother face to face and had him tell my other brother since they were close and he would know how to break it to him. Then the 3 of us hung out and talked about it when they had time to take it in. It went over much better that way, but I had to think about what would be best for them as well. If you feel they wouldn't be understanding, just send a text and when they are ready to reply, they will. If you think they will be fine with it, I would suggest do it face to face and deal it then.

16. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

You just need to come out your own way. Yeah I will admit that coming out to family would be better face to face but if coming out over text is easier then just do it that way.

I came out to my parents through a text message and then we talked about it later and, even thought they sorta didn't believe me at first, it all worked out in the end. My mom told my sister and that's that. let me tell you my relationship with my parents is great and I still came out over a text message.

Just go with the way you think is best for you.

17. I think you should go with your instincts and do it however you want to do it in that moment. Sure, it might be my text, but at least you've done it. With family it might seem the proper way to do it face to face, but I don't think your brothers will mind if you are struggling. Or you could wait till the next time you see them or skype them if that feels better.
    Today, I came out to my brother-figure over facebook because I was too scared to tell him face-to-face. He took it well and things have gone back to normal... we started talking about dream-catchers haha! So I suppose that shows that it's not always bad, but you know your brothers, we don't :slight_smile:
    Do it however you want to.
    I agree with Ianthe, you should just check that they are ready to reply, just so that you aren't waiting in suspense for ages, if you do decide to message them.
    All the best! XD

18. redstormrising

if you think a text message would work best for you, then that's how you should do it. you know your own situation better than anyone else. i came out to my sister via text, and we are actually very close. i came out to both parents the same day and wanted to get my sister in too, and with her schedule, a text message is the fastest way to reach her. i also knew that there was zero chance that she would have any kind of problem with it, so i wasn't in suspense either.

19. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I also agree that if you think texting would be the best way to come out than do it that way. I know if someone came out to me through text, even if we were really close I wouldn't take any offense to it.

20. Brenny

I don't think it will make a huge difference to your brothers. In fact you suggested the idea that your mom tell them for you. I think that considering your personal circumstances, either of those ideas would be just fine. Their reaction isn't likely to change much based on how you tell them. Whatever is most comfortable with you. Either way, you will be out to them.