1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the weight of the world came crashing down.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SocialButterfly, Jul 2, 2012.

1. SocialButterfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hate to sound dramatic but that is how I feel right now.. it hit me. I'm gay. The picture of the person that everyone knows is wrong. I know that I am still the same person, I just prefer women. But will they still see me the same? Will I be even more rejected? Will they still love me and treat me the same? I can't bear the thought of losing the ones I love.. I feel like I'm losing my mind....I'm so excited to start this new chapter, but I am terrified I will be alone..

2. julia

Hi :slight_smile: That's so fantastic you've come to realize that you are gay. That's a huge step. Some people may looking at you differently or treat you differently, the world can be a very prejudice place, but there are also many people in the world, and in your life that are very accepting. You won't ever be alone though. I know it may feel that way, I feel alone a bunch of the time too. You have people here who know exactly what you're going through.
    Even though I'm still mostly in the closet, if you have any questions or just want to talk, I'm here (*hug*)

3. karl178

Hi Social-butterfly,

It is really nice to read your post and sounds like you are beginning to realise and come to terms with your sexuality. I can fully understand the anxiety you mention regarding how people will react etc, but from my experience it is important to give your family and friends due credit and the opportunity to show how they really respect and care for you. Of course some people might be a bit surprised, but can also make some of your existing friendships deeper.
    Would you like to share with us any other details about yourself such as your age and if you currently have any gay friends etc?

Best,
    Karl

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey its tough when you are first coming to terms with things, you are happy and sad and excited and scared, its a total rollercoaster. Its difficult to deal with something when you think it might cause you to loose the ones you love, but the most important people are those that are going to love you back unconditionally, you see the majority of the time we underestimate the power of our friends and friendships. Im sure the people around you will see that you are still exactly the same person inside.

5. SocialButterfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you for all of your supportive words. I am 27 and I know quite a few gay people, but am not close to any of them. I guess acquaintances would be appropriate

6. karl178

Hi SocialButterfly,

Ok so you know quite a few gay people but are not especially close to them. What about your family? I presume from your profile that you have not talked about this subject with them.

Perhaps you could get to know some of these acquaintances on a slightly deeper level if you are comfortable with that? It of course does not mean that you need to start coming out to everyone immediately but from my experience having a few solid gay friends can be a nice way to get a little more comfortable around the issue. It sounds from your first post that there is a side of you that is excited by your understanding of your orientation so this might be a nice gentle step - I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this =]

Karl