1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SallyFishsticks, Jul 2, 2012.

1. SallyFishsticks

I don't know what else to do. I came out to my parents about a year ago and they disowned me. They're very religious and they told me God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve and now I'm apparently going to burn in hell. I just don't know how much more I can take. They make me feel worthless everyday. This has been an ongoing struggle with my parents since I came out.

2. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Is there a way that you could move out on your own? Maybe even find a friend that you could live with for a while?

I'm sorry that your parents have been struggling with this, you should be in a place that you feel safe.

3. SallyFishsticks

I can't afford to be on my own yet. And none of my friends really know about this situation.

4. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Is there anybody else that you could talk to? You could try looking up some LGBT groups in your area, it might be helpful if you could talk to someone else about these things. And they may have some resources too that could help.

5. SkyDiver

I'm so, so sorry. :icon_sad: That's a horrible thing to say to your own kid. I wish I could offer you some advice, but unfortunately I don't really know. All I know is that you are perfect just the way you are, and that your parents are so, so wrong. You've got a fantastic future in store for you, and you don't have to let your parents take that away from you.

And never forget that you've got a real family here at EC who appreciates and respects you.

6. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't listen to them.

Now is the time in your life to be absolutely selfish and just listen to your own thoughts and feelings. If you ever let what they say get to you, your life will never improve nor change. Envision what you do want and let that be your beacon through the mist.

Know that you will get through it. Believe you can get through it and all will be fine :slight_smile:

7. SallyFishsticks

I found a friend I can stay with for a while. I just can't take it there anymore.

8. karl178

I am sorry to hear you are having such a difficult situation, coming out to parents is always tough, but having to deal with a religion-based negative reaction I can just imagine is especially rough :/
    I understand that you probable have very pressing issues regarding where you are going to live etc, but can I just ask if you have come out to any of your friends etc to help build up an emotional support network that might really benefit you?
    I have also sent you a friend invite if you like to stay in touch and at any time discuss further (when I finally get my full member status)

9. SallyFishsticks

I came out to a few friends but none of them really know much about this situation.

10. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I'm glad that you can stay with a friend for a while, you shouldn't have to deal with your parents at the moment. I am so sorry about the way they've been treating you. Just know that you aren't a bad person, you have to love who you love or you'll never be happy. I really hope that one day this can all work out.