1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight friend wanting to know what it is to be gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jacket, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Jacket

Okay

So I have a straight friend who asks me many questions about being gay, but then will continue to point out a hot girl and ask how it doesn't turn me.
    In short, I have no idea how to explain things to him in a way he can properly understand.
    He just can't seem to comprehend quite how one guy can like another in such a way.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could go about doing this or any resources which would be useful?

Thanks

2. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell him it's the same way he likes girls but doesn't like guys. It's just opposite.

3. King

King Guest

I often look at girls and wonder how and why boys are sexually attracted to them. I think the best way to go about it would to question him about how he isn't attracted to boys - quiz him on it. What doesn't he find sexually attractive about guys? Why doesn't he think he could fall in love with a boy?
    Then, tell him your answers are the opposite. I'm sure he doesn't mean for it to be condescending, so don't be rude in questioning him. :slight_smile:

King x

4. Silvails52

I really would have no response to that... But I think I would ask what makes him attracted to girls.

5. Curly

Point to a hot guy and ask him why he doesn't get turned on?

I said something similar to my mom when she asked me about why I am not attracted to guys. She seemed to understand, so maybe he might get it too.

6. BudderMC

Everyone's got it spot on. I mean, there's no real "explanation" you can give... just help him see it through your eyes. You don't like girls the same way he doesn't like guys.

At risk of making it awkward, you could size up a really hot guy and then ask him why he doesn't find him hot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: