1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

long hair

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confuzzled82, Jul 5, 2012.

1. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am getting really tired of my dad complaining about my hair. Thing is, I want a longer somewhat androgyneous hairstyle. Right now, it fits the former, but not so much the later. I was looking around, and I found Bi Rain. I really like his hairstyle, but I'm not certain it would work with my sandy blond locks. Any ideas? I work in a somewhat conservative courthouse, so nothing too crazy.

Oh, Full Members - There's a face pic in my profile.

2. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As far as your dad complaining...not much you can do about that. Sounds kind of like my dad, so it seems that you either tune him out, stop being around him so much, or cut it (which you obviously don't want to do).

If you have long hair and you're working in a courthouse, then the way your picture is showing your hair seems like the best way to wear it. As far as wearing it like Bi Rain, I think that would require thinner hair than you have.

3. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

4. Aldrick

I've certainly seen guys with much longer hair than you. Personally, I think it looks great the way it is, but if you want it longer I say go for it!

As for your dad, you look to be an adult. You don't need his approval for your hairstyle. If he continues to comment on it after you tell him that it's the way you like it, and the way you're going to keep it; then you might have to lay down the law. Let him know that you are, in fact, an adult, and that you don't need his permission to have long hair. He might not like to hear that, but if he's telling you what you need to do - then you need to establish some boundaries.

Your bigger concern isn't your dad though. It's your job. I personally hate the whole conservative atmosphere of a courtroom. In situations like that my gut instinct is always to rebel, but that's going to get you into trouble. (I always said if I were a woman, I'd show up in a courtroom dressed as slutty as I was legally able, just to piss off the judge and be told to leave. Then I'd sue the court on First Amendment grounds out of spite.)

You need to find out what is acceptable for your work. Once you know, go all the way up to that line if that's what you want. Just make sure you have a reliable witness there when you're informed on how long your hair can be, in case they try and screw you later. It's even better if there is a written dress code that you have to follow. Make sure you make a copy for safe keeping.

5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aldrick - Nobody has said anything about my hair at work, I just know I wouldn't be comfortable in an outrageous hairstyle. For my job, I have to wear open air headphones, and I preffer behind the head ones. It's easier to do my job if I just sit in the corner relatively unnoticed.