1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I find a roommate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Time, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Time

I want to move a few hours away to a bigger city in August. I've been planning on doing this for a few weeks now. I have money saved, enough to go halfsies with another person on a deposit and other initial expenses. The problem is, I don't have anyone to get a place with.

I found the perfect place. It's affordable, comes with every appliance I would need (washer, dryer, dishwasher, etc.), has a gym, internet, cable, and is fully furnished. It's geared towards college students, and even though that does not describe me, it looked like they were going to accept me. They even match applicants with a roommate! Perfect. Except you have to have a guarantor, or cosigner. This individual has to be at least twenty three years old and pass a credit check. After my mom failed the credit check, I was left with no one else. No one else in my family will do it, and I don't know anyone else that meets those qualifications.

There were a couple other places that looked promising and are pretty much within my budget, but I can't find a freaking roommate. I've tried roommates.com, a mobile application for meeting other straight, gay, bi, and curious guys, Craigslist (bad idea), and any other resource I can think of.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a roommate? I'm desperate.

2. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could always try running adds in the local (where you want to move) paper as well as put up fliers around the area you are going to be moving to. Of course, these both have inherent risks, but not as bad as CL.

3. Sherri

Have you put up fliers around the college in the area? I assume there is one since you said the place you were going to move into mostly rents to college kids. When I was still in physical school (vs. online schooling), I saw fliers up around the college all the time for roommates and such. It may not get you any hits, depending on how large the school is, but it certainly couldn't hurt, right? Print out fliers and go ask permission to stick them on the bulletin boards at the college.

Are there any community billboards in the area? Those would be a good idea to hit as well.

I sympathise with you (*hug*). My roommate bailed on me after only 5 months of the 12 month lease, and I have yet to find a new one @_@. Good luck!

Edited To Add: And DON'T pick up some shady looking roomie out of desperation! Having to wait a while longer is infinitely better than having to live with someone whom you're not really comfortable with! Trust me!