1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

facebook info...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SteelCityGuy, Jul 6, 2012.

1. SteelCityGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just changed my facebook info to interested in 'men'....I thought I was bi, yes I have been with women...but over the last while I have no interest in them sexual...theres many people I'm sure that will be shocked that I'm 100% gay instead of Bi...just waiting to see how many friends I will lose...lol...?

2. bob94

I've always wondered what would happen if I did that! But I'm too much of a chicken at the moment to even consider taking such a plunge. Did everybody already think you were at least bi? Keep us updated on how people react!

3. Deaf Not Blind

:roflmao:but yur status here still bi!
    you got scared to come out to us??

4. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also changed my FaceBook info to interested in women a little while ago. Got no responses yet. I don't know if FaceBook alerts your friends that you've changed something on your profile when you do, but if it does, maybe they're just all digesting the info? I don't know. But I think it's a big step to take, since I have both friends as well as family on my FaceBook and I don't really mind if they all knew my sexuality. In fact, it'll make the whole process so much simpler for me. Now it's just a matter of finding out whether or not FaceBook actually alerts them to those changes too, as it does when you change a profile picture or something similar? Well done! :eusa_clap :thumbsup:

5. Silvails52

I changed it, but I have it set to "just me." I think people have to really stalk your profile to find out.

6. BurritoQueer

I don't think Facebook friends actually care about your sexuality.. That might be why something hasn't happened for those of you whole have changed their interested in. :slight_smile:

Just my opinion.

7. DanA

Lol, I lost none...... but I did gain a whole ton of gay dating ads in the side bar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

"looking for the perfect man?"

"Find gay men on Facebook."

Ugh... c'mon Facebook, I'm tryin' here!

8. BurritoQueer

" Lol, I lost none...... but I did gain a whole ton of gay dating ads in the side bar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: "
    @DanA , you are actually the perfection of humour..

9. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Lmao seriously?! That's kinda funny for facebook :lol:

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think any friends you'd lose, you would have lost when you declared you were "bi." The religious bigots don't like bisexuality any more than homosexuality, and I think they're the only ones that would care.

My guess is... nobody will care, and you won't hear much of anything about it :slight_smile:

11. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have interested in men/women, but only women now. All my friends on Facebook are very supportive, as some of my status updates are a clear indication that I'm gay. For the ones who aren't supportive of you, they can kiss your bum! They were never real friends in the beginning.

12. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I changed mine to say interested in women. I didn't lose any friends, but I'm also pretty confident that no one noticed. I came out to one of my friends over the phone a few months after changing it, and she didn't know.

13. no one will probably notice.... they would notice status updates, but not that im sure.

even if they do im sure they would inbox you rather than speak about it publicly on your wall.

i could change my interested in on fb to likes flying pigs, and no one would notice haha.
    no one noticed my interested in when i did put women on it, but i soon took it off cuz family added me :|

14. midnightvanity6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha! Yeah I know what you mean...
    But it doesn't really matter what they think... How shocked they are. All that matters is you're happy. And that you know exactly what you want in life.

15. unknown12

someone in my high school did that. it went around within a week. everyone was cool with it though. i commend you.

16. Silvails52

I know! lol I also got a bunch of "suggested friends." None of them had any mutual friends with me, but every single one of them was either gay or bi.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh... I had this happen when I changed my interested in to women. I have learned to laugh at all of the ads. They are kinda funny.

18. SteelCityGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LOL! Stop...lol!!! I forgot about that...silly me:icon_bigg

---------- Post added 7th Jul 2012 at 11:49 PM ----------

Some people did suspect I was maybe Bi...but most no, as I'm quite masculine and most people assume or think 'he can't be gay'..I'll keep you updated, no messages and nobodys unfriended me yet, but I'm prepared for it...

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2012 at 12:00 AM ----------

My status updates give a indication too...such as going to gay clubs and hanging out in the gay village in Toronto, plus I 'liked' gay establishment and such...people most likely have figured it out by now.

19. MusicMan12

I did this, but nobody ever said ANYTHING, so I didn't know what to think. Then after about 3 weeks I took it down...still sad I did that....i don't even know y i did.

20. Vanc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think you'll lose many friends (if any at all). In fact, they might not ever notice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don't you get notifications for changing your "Interested In". kudos for having the courage to change your FB info to that!