1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to come out to my homophobic family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BurritoQueer, Jul 7, 2012.

1. BurritoQueer

Well, I'm fine with who I am. I just don't know how to tell my family that I am Bi.*

I don't really care what they think of me.. But I want to come out at school an I can't because my family doesn't know.

I've heard my mother call homosexuals "creatures", showing that she's homophobic as a sausage.
    I'm not sure about my father- He's a waste of space in my opinion.
    My brother said he would bash me if I turned out gay. Ohwell, bring it.

So, how could I tell them about my sexuality?*

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why can't you come out at school without coming out to them? Coming out to your family seems like a bad idea, anyhow.

3. midnightvanity6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    you should gather them together in a room when there not busy and plain out tell them.
    "I'm bisexual" they are in fact you're family, I'm sure they will love you no matter what.
    Besides if you're okay with who you are, they should be too, being gay or bisexual is a individual choice, that they can't make for you.
    I obviously don't know you're family, but I'm sure they will love you no matter what, after all being bisexual is just a choice in you're sexual preference it doesn't define who you are.

4. BurritoQueer

Well, my brother has strong connections with people from my school..
    He also used to go there until he dropped out but his year level is currently still there..
    So he'd find out and that would annoy me that I didn't tell him?

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2012 at 12:59 AM ----------

@midnightvanity6 , (I would of quoted but I'm currently on my phone)

Well thank you for your input'

I might try this method.. I'll wait until I figure out other possible ways?

5. Sayu

Do you really think being gay/bi is a choice?

6. BurritoQueer

^ I was going to ask this myself. I thought it might be rude to ask though.

7. SkyDiver

Really? :eusa_eh:

---------- Post added 7th Jul 2012 at 09:17 AM ----------

And Burrito, I think it's great that you're totally comfortable with who you are. :slight_smile: That's a perfect spot from which to tell your family. But you should prepare for the worst, just in case. I am extremely sure that your family will still love and accept you. But just in case, have a back up plan.

8. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh, she's only 13, give her a bit of a break for inaccuracies.

Ah, I see. Well, you could try coming out to your circle of friends first and let them know about the situation with your family, specifically that they can't tell anyone else in case they might find out. This is important to do because you'll need a support network before you take the plunge and come out to your family, especially because they are so homophobic. I said it was a bad idea, and it will definitely be stressful, but if it is inhibiting you from coming out fully at school and in your social life then perhaps it is worth doing.

9. DanA

Commandeer a gay pride float and ride past your house with a megaphone shouting "I'm bi!!!!" as men and women grind on you to the latest Gaga song.

Ooooooooor, I'd just wait. I'd wait until college or you are out of the house since you are so young and dependent on your family at the moment. If you must tell them, though... nothing but respect. I understand how hard it is to keep it inside when you just want people to know who you are. Perhaps the best way is while they are comfortable at home watching tv... I told my family one at a time, though. That worked pretty well.

Just don't expect praise right off the bat. It took a month for my mom to come around. It's taken years for other people to have their parents come around.

10. SkyDiver

I needed a good laugh :lol:

11. BurritoQueer

"Commandeer a gay pride float and ride past your house with a megaphone shouting "I'm bi!!!!" as men and women grind on you to the latest Gaga song. "
    This is the best response ever..... Wow..

Thanks for your help though guys, it's really opened up a few options! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2012 at 01:36 AM ----------

I could also hire lady GaGa to sing "Born This Way" to them? Haha!

12. SkyDiver

Let us know how everything goes :slight_smile:

13. dasazn

You've got a long way to go - the rest of high school and then college later on. You're going to need your parents' financial support, if nothing else, to get through with it. I would think it'll be easier to tell your parents and family once you no longer rely on them for basic survival (that's what I'm doing, at least). If you're really itching to tell someone, stick with a few very close friends - the kind you would trust with your life - and ask them not to tell your family.

Now, obviously, if you win the lottery or a boatload of money, you can forget about what I said. But let's face it: that probably won't happen.

14. bob94

Everybody has given you good advice, but I'd just add one thing. Even thought you're not close to your brother and dad, don't show them any disrespect before/when you tell them. You can't expect respect from them if you don't give any.

15. Enaithor

I'm not entirely convinced that it's a good idea to come out to them, at least not yet.
    You're only 14, so although I trust that you are genuinely bi, your homophobic family are less likely to believe you and more likely to just bash you for being 'delusional' or making 'bad life choices' or something.
    I just think that for your own safety you should wait a couple of years.
    It's a horrible wait, but your safety is worth it.

16. LisforLisa

I wouldn't suggest coming out at a young age. I'm also 14 and I came out to my parents and people in school. The bad part is people think I'm confused and I'll change my mind. The even worst part is since no guys ever believe that I'm gay they constantly ask me out. I'm terrieble at turning people down so I usually say yes.

17. BurritoQueer

After reading the newer replies, I think I've decided to wait..
    It's not exactly that I'm itching to come out of the closet. I would just rather people know that I'm Bi.

Thanks for the support though, everybody! :slight_smile: x.