1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drinking again...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by laras, Jul 7, 2012.

1. laras

I dont think I drink too much, but it seams like every weekend when I am with friends that is the first thing I want too do...

I dont drink alone, I dont drink every day... but I got a message telling me I need to quit because its bad for me. I am young and dont need that in my life...

Its messing with me.

2. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

I message from who?

And I think the important thing to think about it why you're drinking. Is it because you feel more comfortable? Because others are doing it? Because you think it's fun? Whether it's a problem or not really depends on that, in my opinion at least.

3. BajanBoy13

I get the same thing but I am probably even younger than you....yeah not a good thing at my age but I do it because its fun. Once you don't drink TOO much then you know you have a problem.Like passing out at a party or something.

4. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drinking on the weekends isn't a sign of alcoholism. If you did drink every day or felt that you needed it to continue with your life, then you have a problem. However, if you feel that drinking is messing with you, maybe cut it back a bit and see how you feel.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is totally not true. There are binge alcoholics who only drink on weekends, or even less frequently than that. What matters is what goes along with the drinking. If you feel like you need to do it to fit in, get along, or have a good time, that's a major danger signal. If you find yourself looking forward to the next time you can drink after having been drunk, that's a warning sign. If you end up hung over or having difficulty functioning the day after drinking, and that happens more than once every month or two, that, too, is a warning sign.

BajanBoy, you really should not be drinking at your age. There are a lot of developmental issues that alcohol interferes with, and it also conditions you to use alcohol in ways that are extremely unhealthy. Once you develop those patterns, it is much, much more difficult to change those patterns.

According to the most recent statistics, alcohol and drug abuse is at epidemic levels among teens and young adults, more so than at any point in American history. A huge portion of teens (something like 1 in 4) exhibit signs of addictive behavior with alcohol or drug use, and a phenomenally large number (1 in 70, I think it was) will end up going to rehab... and keep in mind, those are only the people that can afford to or otherwise have the resources to go.

I can't say, based on what you described, whether or not you have a problem, but if you are asking about it, most likely you are developing a problem if you don't already have one. It's easy to say "Oh, I'm totally in control and I can stop any time I want to" because that is what every alcoholic or addict says at some point. And the problem is, if you're around a group of people where everyone does this, you assume it's normal when, in fact, it isn't normal at all.

So... do some reading up on signs of alcohol abuse and see if you fit the signs. Don't listen to people that tell you that you can drink ______ much and not have a problem; those people are often ones who have a problem but don't want to admit it. Do your own research.