1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do people meet people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ccdd, Jul 8, 2012.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I am having a lot of trouble meeting real-life lesbians and bisexual women (or indeed, friends at all). I was wondering where you met them? I am in my late twenties. Any advice would be appreciated! I am only semi-out, so maybe that's the problem.

I'm in the UK so going to the bar is a bit weird. I can't really turn up to things on my own. I don't know how to meet people!

This is actually a general thing: how do people who are no longer at school/university meet people (no one at work is my age)?

I have suddenly found myself in the situation where most of my friends have moved away, and I know very few people who live in my neighbourhood. My life seems to be lived online at the moment - I want to change this! I also seem to be one of the only long-term single people I know. And whilst I love it, it does get a bit lonely.

Any slightly older people got some advice for meeting people?

2. im only 20 but i have the exact same problem.
    all my friends have moved away/are married and i see them a few times a year but thats it.
    im trying to find groups that im interested in (i.e book club or w/e) but its hard lol.

i talk to a lot of people online. but im yet to find a sucsessful way to meet people. 'clubs' arent 'lets find friends' type places. quiz night at pubs/gay bars is the closest i get to meeting people properly for a few hours..... although unlike you i go a lot of places by myself... i find it easy idk why.

i dont really have any advice sorry but i hear ya. (*hug*)

3. lilbitlost

Heh i hear ya too, im 29 and struggling to find me some gay (female) friends.

I tried making a profile on a site with it set to 'just friends' lol, spoken to a couple of people on there, some fairly regularly others less so. I also joined a lesbian/gay meet up group, but due to babysitting issues have yet to be able to actually go and meet them, supposed to be going to a fair thing and meeting a couple of them on sat, though i think it will be busy so ill be lucky if i even spot em. I also went to london pride this sat just gone had noone to go with me so i went by myself, was hoping to chat to people there but no luck.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? Have you tired googling for local groups?

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Beign out does make the process easier because then you can really meet people anywhere, but it is still possible to do it while you are semi-out :slight_smile:

Like the poster above said, the first thing to do is to see if there are any LGBT groups, centers or organizations around your area. Some places have biking groups, jogging, reading and tons of other stuff. Once you find those, then you go and see if you connect to people.

The best way in my book to meet new people is to volunteer somewhere. At least in my area, there always seems to be at least one single LGBT person where I volunteer. Find a place or organization that you find interesting and try to get as involved as possible. I find it easy because it makes the whole process of meeting people a very natural one and you also get to help in the things you like.

5. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Thanks guys!

I just think it would be so much easier if there were even just one person I could to things with! I'm very shy and don't feel I can just walk into a situation/place and be like 'Hi, my name's ccdd'.

I live in the north of England. There does seem to be a smallish lgbt organisation, but I really don't feel able to just go on my own! Pubs just really aren't the way forward. I swear to God that I have no idea how people meet other people in pubs, unless they're introduced by mutual friends!

I also feel that I'm kind of getting to the point where I want to be out, so I'm less and less bothered by that. Maybe if I'm properly out I can get friends to introduce me to others they may know who are gay?? Or go with me to places?? But I also have fewer and fewer friends, because they've moved away.

The only other things really that I can think of are evening classes or walking groups etc. Maybe I shall try this. I just feel that everyone I know is now coupled up, and it's really hard to meet new people! When I was at school and university you just, well, met people!

I also don't want to come across as desperate. Does that makes sense? I don't want it to look like I'm joining things to meet people, even if I am...

6. lilbitlost

Haha yep same boat, im totally trying to look like im not being more socialble to meet people, its kinda obvious though, im usually a hermit lol :grin:

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm with you, but I would encourage you to at least give it a try someday. Most LGBT groups know that people go there alone, afraid and very nervous. They will try to make you feel as comfortable as they possibly can. Also, remember that there will be MANY people that started just like you. And trust me, something that I have learned is that LGBT people love helping other people out however they can.