1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out, moving away, starting over

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JustKeepRunning, Jul 8, 2012.

1. JustKeepRunning

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So here's my dilemma. I'm 24 and recently out to the important people in my life. I've never had a serious relationship and only dated men. But I'm ready to come out and finally be honest with myself about who I am. Now I just finished my masters degree and have accepted a job in another state that starts in two weeks. I really want this to be a chance to start over in a lot of ways, away from my family and their drama and their religion, and away from old relationships and friendships that have become stale and unhealthy. But I also don't want to be running away from everything, I want to be running towards something as well, and I've told myself that this is going to be the time in my life when I make my life what I want it to be. My problem is this. I really don't know how to meet people. I'm honestly a really boring person, I spend most of my time either reading or running, which are solitary pursuits. I want to make friends, date, be involved in some sort of community, but I kind of just don't know where to go or how to start. When I land in my new city in two weeks...what do I do next?

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Well first off, you're living the life that I want to have. You're so lucky, and I can admire you for doing this. But, enough of that. I'm sure you'll meet new friends through your work and stuff like that. Maybe you could join a running group? Or run for a local charity. Or maybe even just sign up at a gym or something like that and see where it takes you. I'm sure there's book clubs and stuff like that too. Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't even worry about it. These sorts of things just happen naturally on their own. It might take some time, but all good things do. You're going to be totally fine.

3. Pippa

Pippa Guest

You sound a lot like me in that you say you don't know how to meet people. I don't either but from what I understand, a good way is to find groups. Can you find a gay/lesbian support group in the city you are moving to? That might be a good start.... other than that, maybe take a cooking class or a class about something you may be interested in.... I wish you all the luck in the world.... good for you for separating from the religion.... wish I had done that years ago.....