1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the bible is full of shit

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Monique_Massacre, Jan 18, 2008.

1. am i the only one who thinks this ..i cant be

"The Bible says that homosexuality is a sin"
    The Bible ALSO says don't shave, cut your hair, don't eat pork or shellfish and stone your kid if he sasses you. Do you read the Bible selectively and seek out only the verses that justify your own biases? Read the parts of the Bible that admonish us to "Judge Not" and "He who is without sin, let HIM cast the first stone. Don't be overly righteous or overly wise, why destroy yourself? the bible contridicts itself all the time...like adam and eve, their children had to reproduce but they were all brother and sister....thats insest which the bible says is wrong...i swear some people are such arrogant jesus freaks!

lol i love this guy he is great

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHuzRhNSsfs&feature[/youtube]

2. Grantious

Hey

I pretty much agree, i lost all my faith in da bible, but that has more to do wif da fact that the bible was ritten by people that belived lighting was magical and the earth was flat lol

but thats just me

Catch

3. Ty

Ty Guest

I really do dislike religion. End of.

4. Tom

Tom Guest

i loved tht video! i must link to it on msn sumwer!

5. Louise

I think the bible is very often metaphorical and is not meant to be taken as fact. The people writting the bible did so an awful long time ago and often mixed up fact and their own personal outlook on life and at a time when the masses needed to be controlled and before there were policement, judges and prisons. It was much easier to make people believe that they would burn for eternity in the hell's fires for stealing (for example) than try to reason with uneducated masses with all the base instincts that we humans suffer from... gread, jealousy, anger, spite, etc.

I believe that the major religions that we have today Christianism, Judaism, Islam, Bhuddism were created to try to civilize society. There are a LOT of good things in the Bible, Tora, et Koran, of love, tolerance, kindess and the filial and social duties expected of us. Hundreds of millions of people have based their lives on these teachings, over the milenia, and have lead happy, healthy and usefull lives. These teachings have given them a framework in which to build thier lives without having to worry or workout for themselves what is right or wrong (a bit like sheep if you like).

Of course if you want to take things out of context or interpret them to suit some nasty phobia you have you can. This has been done throughout the ages and is still going on but it is not the fault of the Bible but more of the people doing the interpretation.

Saying that the bible is full of shit is extremely disrespectful to those who do believe. Everyone has the right to believe what they want. The Bible, Tora, and Koran are the three most studied works EVER and have between them shaped the world that we live in today.

So in conclusion to this rant, I'm sorry you feel that way but the Bible is NOT full of shit! Just one thing I am an atheist but I do get mad when people mock something as enormous as the Bible.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Louise makes some valuable points. Personally, I do believe in God and believe the Bible has some historical significance and really worthwhile guidance for our lives. I'm sure other teachings (although I've never studied them) are the same. What I disagree with is fundamentalism. The Bible was written by man with their own interpretation and own biases and prejudices. It makes me sad that some of these fundamentalist Christians think all people ought to believe exactly like they do are we are doomed to go to hell. Even those who don't practice it, but who have been brought up that way, pull those verses out of the Bible to support their own prejudices. That angers me. My own Dad has told me that me and my son are going to hell. I don't even believe in hell but if I told him that, he'd really go ballistic. My fundamentalist Christian uncle called me up to try to get me to go to a Love Won Out (aka: pray away the gay) seminar. "Oh but if you only believe and have faith, your son will be cured of his homosexuality." That is BULLSHIT!

7. Louise

I'm with you there Becky... *stands and raises hands in the air *Praise the lord jk :grin:

Small minded people's interpretation of the Bible encourages homophobia, colour, religious and sexual prejudice but there is oh SO much more than that in there!

8. Hollywood

i haaaaaaaaate christinaity. after 15 years of it and beating myself up over my sexuality, leaving the church 2 years ago set me free.

9. Louise

I agree with you whole heartedly and organised religions have done almost as much harm as they have good but to say that the Bible is full of shit.... No just can't agree!

10. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that it's a common misconception amongst those who do not consider themselves Christian that Christianity is a harmful thing. I will not deny that many horrendous things have happened in the name of Christianity, but just as Louise puts it, this is because of people's interpretation of the Bible, not the writings themselves.

I think that Christianity gets a bad reputation amongst non-believers because of the fundamentalists that Becky speaks of. In reality, the fundamentalists are a minority. They're a minority in the same way that Islamic fundamentalists (the suicide bombers, etc.) are a minority within Islam. Most people who are Islamic aren't blowing up buildings, just as every Christian is not a Jerry Falwell, telling people they're going to hell.

I believe that Chrisitianity is a tolerant, accepting, and LOVING religion. At least that's the Christianity I practice. I don't take everything in the Bible word for word. I believe it was written by man, and therefore flawed by man.

Also, we need to be careful to understand that the Bible was written thousands of years ago, in an EXTREMELY different culture. To place every situation and verse in the Bible into our culture today is a very ignorant thing to do. Unfortuneatly, those people who do that are the people we see on the news and in the media.

In actuality, Christianity saved my life. I live in an area where fundamentalism is extremely prominent. For much of my life I believed I was going to hell for my sexuality; however, through a number of events I began to see homosexuality in a different way. I began to pray to the god that I once believed hated me. I soon found that that was where I was recieving my comfort. My life was turned around.

So I think we just have to be careful about what we say about religion. Yes, it has caused lots of pain for many people, but it has also given lots of people hope, as it did for me. I would never judge someone because they have a different religion. Who knows what good it's doing for them? To me, Christianity is about love first and foremost, and I believe is overall message of the Bible conveys this.

#10 trumpetkid23, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    EXACTLY!!!!!

12. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    are we really not done bashing other peoples beliefs? Only people who already hate gays believe that passage in the bible and they latch onto it and use it to justify their hate. The bible was only written by men who have flaws. The problem with the bible is that people act like god dropped it from the sky. So please, if you must hate, don't hate religion, hate the zealots who pervert it and ruin it.

13. stefy18

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i think ppl just like religon cuz it gives them sum1 or something 2 blame.

14. Hollywood

I think it's great that you practice that, and that is what my mother claims to practice, but everything I expirenced in the church environment for 15 years spoke to the contrary.

Exactly. Unfortunatly, 99% of christianity dosen't understand that concept.

15. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not true at all. Their is a liberal Christian church in my town. Many people understand that, its sad that the pope does not because people judge all Catholics on him

16. Zeraphath

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The bible and the actual Christianity is not to blame. The original is most likely locked away in the Vatican. Everything else is interpreted.

There are churches out there that a gay or lesbian Christian can attend without fear of condemnation but for the most part...the "zealots" have twisted it. Thing is to let them go with love. Prove you are better than that. While we are on that subject, even though their words sound hateful remember that they say it in love and ingnorance. Hopefully that can bring a smile to your face..."I love you enough to tell you that you're going to hell." Muhahaha. It's hard to get into that mindset at first but it can be done. My father is one of those zealots, so is his wife, and it's hard trying to ease him into it (tried to come out twice to him) without getting into the almighty sin argument.

Anyhow, I once found this great resource that puts a different twist on some of the texts in the bible that is used against homosexuality. http://www.christianlesbians.com It's got good articles and lists different gay friendly congregations.

And that's my 2 cents. :grin:

17. ohioboy

Agree^:***:

18. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look at churches like the Unitarian Universalists (which are not exclusively Christian), the United Church of Christ, and many others. There is a massive movement underway in support of gay rights within the Christian religion.

Also, what Zeraphath said is VERY important. We cannot "stoop to the level" of those who are so condemning by doing the same thing back. We claim "love has no boundaries". If we REALLY believe that, then we would love those who hate us.

19. InaRut

This thread is kinda offensive.
    I'm sorry but I don't think you have right to say this about someone elses religeon. No matter what they're viewpoints are.

20. sexyalex

ok Monique, we r friends right? i really don't want to say something i SHOULDN'T cuz i don't want to get in trouble with EC moderators but it's not gonna stop me from airing my view:cry:
    personally i am not going to join everyone and rant about what the bible says and what it dosn't or whether it's right or wrong BUT i will ask for you Mon and everyone else who bashes it to quote the sections of the bible u are speaking of. state which book it came from, chapter and vs. i personally don't confide in the bible but my own concience however i do refer to it many times.

i have no idea if because i am not a critic of the bible like most other; i am going to get in trouble with a mod or admin but i won't further comment on this post unless i see some quotes. :slight_smile: sorry. cuz seriously i know how bias this can get and people really should judge the bible if they don't have proof:dry: