1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to begin looking?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vere, Jul 9, 2012.

1. vere

Disclaimer: I am sure there are other threads on this topic, but I am too lazy to use the search engine :lol: .

I am 20-years-old and I have never been in a relationship. In fact, I have never so much as been on a date with anyone and nor have I even been asked on a date. (I myself asked someone out once and was, essentially, rejected.)

The fact that I have never connected romantically with anyone hasn't caused me too much "distress" until very recently; it seems that whenever I log onto Facebook, one of my friends is posting pictures with a new girlfriend/boyfriend. Instead of feeling happy for them, I find myself envious of the seemingly easy ability with which they are able to attract other people and form relationships. A large part of me feels that I am somehow missing out on experiences that other people my age have had (even though I know for certain that I am not the only person in a similar situation.)

So, I suppose my question is the following: Where should I look to find someone with whom I might possibly be able to start a relationship? Many dating sites, frankly, seem like they are made for the purpose of hook-ups and that's not really what I am interested in. Surely, there has to be a way to meet someone in person? Other people seem to do it all the time :lol: .

Sorry for the long post.

#1 vere, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I to have been in this situation... kinda still am with the constant "It'll happen when you least expect it" and the whole "enjoy your life, your only young" tends to grate on me sometimes but then sometimes I think, yeah your right. I should just get on with my life but then I you said, we've always got the feeling of missing out on something some people our age seem to experience it no bother.

I couldn't tell you where you look except online dating is a waste of time in my opinion. Majority of gay dating sites seem tailored towards fun and hook-ups which are ugh.

by the way I'm 22 and have never had a boyfriend or been on a date and it sucks sometimes.

3. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    Well, I'm assuming that some of your friends know non-straight guys, or know people that do? You might want to talk to them and see if they can fix you up. Or, you could hop on the internet and see if there are any LGBT-related social events near where you live.

And most importantly, don't give up! I was rejected by 17 guys in a row before one...maybe two, it's a complicated story :lol: said yes. I came close to giving up several times, but I reminded myself that if I didn't put myself out there, nobody would notice me :slight_smile:

Finally, I will say that there are SOME dating sites geared more towards relationships/making friends than casual sex - though I can't list them on here due to forum rules. It's just a matter of sorting through the sleazy sites to get to the good ones.

Twisty

4. castle walls

When I want to meet new people (although I do this to meet new friends since I am in a relationship), I try to do new things and get out there to meet new people. Even if you don't end up dating those people, having more friends is always a plus and you never know, they may introduce you to someone.

You could try joining clubs that match your interest like a book club or something along those lines. That way you know from the beginning that you guys share a common interest and if you ever run out of things to talk about you can talk about the common interest.

If you're in college, you could try to talk to the people in your classes. If you're not in college and you have extra finances, you could take a class that interests you. That way you could learn something new and meet new people.

Depending on where you live, there may be community events in the area for you to check out. You could end up meeting new people there. Those are just some ideas. Basically, I think that you should try new things so you can meet new people

I hope I helped

5. vere

Thanks everyone for their responses :slight_smile:. For the record, I am in college and I have tried to go to our gay and lesbian club not necessarily so much to find as to find other gay/lesbian friends. Weirdly enough, I felt uncomfortable and out of place :lol:. I just might have to try it again :wink: .

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2012 at 08:46 PM ----------

Lol I think this too sometimes. As if I will just bump into someone and we will begin dating. Of course, I suppose things like that do happen but it is obviously not likely...

Good to see I am not as alone as I seem :slight_smile: