1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patience is a bunch of naughty words im not using here....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 9, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

You guys, I'm trying so hard to be patient with my mom but the "it's a phase" comments are really starting to grate on me, and her binary view of gender and how much hormone therapy scares her.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and make her accept me without this denial/greiving phase.

/endrant.

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Aw, that does have to be very aggravating :/

I'm assuming that you are talking with a therapist right now. Do you think it would be possible to get your mom to talk to her? Maybe the therapist can get her to understand everything that is going on a bit more.

3. MusicIsLife

I'm actually seeing a local lgbt couselor with my mom next week, at a clinic that ive been frequenting for about a month and a half since I came out to myself as trans. I'm actually turning back into a teenager because I feel really frustrated that she cant just accept it (most of the friends ive come out to have said things along the lines of, "Well, I kinda figured.") but at the same time, I can imagine how difficult it must be for her. And I want to give her time to come to terms with it, so I'm sort of staying out of her way, because every trans-centric conversation we have just goes in circles, and im hoping next week will change that.

4. Delta

Ay ay ay... I'm sorry. I think that taking her to the counselor with you for one session will really help. Also, direct her to some websites with support groups and information for parents. You can't possibly explain everything all by yourself and have her understand, so let other people help out. Maybe pre-skim the websites you send her to so that she gets the information that best applies to you. Send her other people's views on transgender issues, and if she's worried about how you'll function as a member in society, maybe some news articles that have trans people doing well.