1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resources For The Down And Out [USA & Canada]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Roz, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Roz

Roz

I'd like to post a link to a very helpful resource if I may. It is something I had mentioned to someone that's going through a tough time...
    It is called 2-1-1:

Every hour of every day, hundreds of people need essential human services -they are looking for training, employment, food pantries, help for an aging parent, addiction prevention programs for their teenage children, affordable housing options, support groups and ways of becoming part of their community. 2-1-1 allows people to give help and to get help.

2-1-1 is an easy to remember telephone number that, where available, connects people with important community services and volunteer opportunities. In 2010, 2-1-1 services in the United States answered more than 16.4 million calls. The implementation of 2-1-1 is spearheaded by United Ways and information and referral agencies in states and local communities. United Way Worldwide (UWW) and the Alliance for Information and Referral Systems (AIRS) are committed to providing national leadership so that every American has access to this essential service

As of October 2011, 2-1-1 serves over 260 million Americans (86.6% of the entire population) covering all 50 states (including 37 states with 90%+ coverage) plus Washington DC and Puerto Rico. Every few weeks, these coverage numbers increase.

As of May 2011, more than 19 million Canadians -- more than 56% of the population -- have access to 2-1-1 services. Visit 2-1-1 Canada from more information.

2-1-1 US: Home Page
    Canada 211 - Home

#1 Roz, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012