1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dorms

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KeanusGuitarus, Jul 10, 2012.

1. KeanusGuitarus

East Australia, in NSW, quite a while from Sydney.
    Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Has anyone else had this; at every camp and school excursion I go on, the people that the teachers know are gay are always put in their own dorm room, lodge, etc. away from the other people of their gender, but always in the same room. Recently two people I know are gay, and everyone else knows are gay, one of which I am incredibly close to, were put in the same room as me. That made me think two things: Why do hey let gays in a private room, but not heterosexuals. 2: do thy know I am gay? Is that why they also put me in the room?

Has this happened at anyone else's school? And what is your opinion on my thoughts?

2. bob94

My school never did camps and stuff like that, so I don't really have any kind of experience in this sort of thing. But that does seem kind of strange. They could be doing it to help you? Maybe they think that the other students will pick on you guys for being gay. Or they may just think that the straights will feel uncomfortable with sharing a room with a gay guy.

3. dano22

dano22 Guest

I would kind of enjoy being in a room with only gay guys otherwise I completely get your point and it does sound kind of discriminatory.

4. starships

I'd feel more comfortable in a room with other gay people in. But thats my personallll prefferrrannceee

xo!

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

If they really are putting openly gay people in the same room away from everyone, then that is ridiculous. Have you talked to any of the people in charge to see if that is true? Is everyone who is out in the room?

Not sure what you can do about it if any, but I know personally I would be very offended to be put into different cabins just because I'm gay. Its not that I wouldn't enjoy myself, but is the fact that I have no say in the matter. Even if its due to my "protection"

6. Deaf Not Blind

^ agreed, kinda like putting all the black students in one room, for their safety. :confused:
    we not gonna rape anybody, and its not that scary to a straight to see two men or women kiss anymore than heterosexual students, so how much danger can be averted hiding all gays in one place??

yet, i read that some universities, not mine, do ask if you are gay to have a separate single room, so can very disabled and very old students usually.

id prefer my school say if you would like a roomy who was your gender and sexual preference you could request that be kept in consideration, just like if you like your room cold or hot, or are messy or clean...those were asked me.

7. KeanusGuitarus

East Australia, in NSW, quite a while from Sydney.
    Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Not only is it ridiculous, but I have accepting male friends who are straight, and I wouldn't mind hanging out with them on camps and excursions. Also I have come out to most friends, but I have never been that open. Yet I am still put in the cabin so I have a feeling the teachers know, not sure. But I can tell that it is seclusion because the boys cabins fill up like this: 6 6 6 6 3 3, with the second 3 being the one us gays share, why would we not be filling up the last cabin, it is something like this all the time. :/

8. Deaf Not Blind

gee! why not question them directly. ask why your room is not filled, and say you have a couple buddies you want to live with. if they are stunned, akward looking, you got an answer just as if they said well aren't you more comfy with the rest of the gays?