1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP, I don't want to wear a dress :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sayu, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Sayu

I will be graduating from high school this year and as a part of the graduation we have this one-evening event where there are all student of our class, their parents and a few teachers. Girls are supposed to wear a dress and boys wear suits. The problem is, I don't want to wear a dress :tears: I look extremely stupid in a dress in my opinion and I DON'T FEEL LIKE ME. Oh how I would LOVE to wear trousers and a shirt :tears: It is VERY rare for a girl not to wear a dress on this event though and I don't think my mum would allow me to wear trousers. We have a really close relationship and I don't want to hurt her feelings or argue with her. What should I do? :tears: Maybe wear some dress that are not very girly? Any advice is welcome :help:

2. King

King Guest

You could always wear a really typical, not über feminine dress and tights underneath, maybe? I know one girl (a lesbian no less) who wore plain black pants and a nice shirt with a tie. Tell your mother that you aren't comfortable in a dress and you'd prefer wearing something less feminine.
    Good luck :slight_smile:

King x

3. IrisM

If worse comes to worse and you really don't like the dress, the dress could always have an 'accident' beforehand. And you'd have to wear something. So then just tell her than you're so sorry that this happened, you'll just have to wear those pants after all. >>

4. Eleanor Rigby

Try to talk to your mom first and let her now that you'd feel very uncomfortable and unhappy wearing a dress. This is YOUR graduation after all. You're completely entitled to want to wear something you'd feel comfortable with.
    I doubt your mom would be very surprised with your request and maybe she won't be very happy with it, but it's your graduation it' your event.
    If you can't avoid wearing a dress, maybe a plain black skirt (knee length) and a white shirt with a black tie could be an option. But really, I think trying to open up to your mum first and try to get to wear what you want to wear is the first step to take before resigning yourself to wear what you're expected to.

Take care, Cécile

5. Scenestealer

Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha. Wear whatever you feel and say it's self expression.l. because well ... it is.

6. Jim1454

How about a pant suit of some kind. You know - dress slacks and a matching jacket with a top underneath. That might be a fair comprimise.

7. Derpette

I know how you feel, when I'll be graduating, I'm gonna wear a tux. But every time I mention it me and my mother have a huge argument...you know, "You're not a boy and you're certainly not gonna wear that." or "What would people think, you are embarassing me" Like I care.. I'll wear what I'm comfortable in and you should do the same, it's your night and not your mother's.

8. Sayu

Thanks for all you opinions and advices, guys. I thought it over and I think I could stick with a dress that doesn't have deep neck. And after the official part I will change to a T-shirt or a shirt :slight_smile:

9. Delta

Ask her if you can wear a nice blouse and a pair of floor length culottes or, if you can get away with it, dressy slacks. That way you look very formal and dressed up, and not really out out of place. I wouldn't recommend going with a boyish shirt this time. You'll probably have to settle for a feminine blouse.

As for asking her, I say it's best to ask permission than beg forgiveness in this situation. She'll feel less betrayed and you'll keep more of that closeness.

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be happy you're not a boy wanting to wear a dress. :wink:

11. Delta

^This, too.