1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of Doing Nothing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fleetingwells, Jul 12, 2012.

1. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not sure where to go about this, but here it goes…

I’m currently spending my summer doing nothing, to sum it up pretty much. I’m 19 and I have no job, no car (or driver’s license), or anybody to hang out with most the time. My friends are busy doing their own thing while I’m sitting here doing nothing. I chose not to do summer school because I thought I could spend my time job-searching and getting a job. But I’ve never had a job before and to be honest, I’m a shy person. It’s a boring summer and I’m usually off doing my own thing, such as listening to music, writing and coming up with ideas for a story. It's been my only outlet for such a long time now. But I’ve hit writer’s block and I don’t know what to do. My main objective is to get my driver’s license but after that, I really don’t know what else to do. I feel like there’s so many things I should be doing right now at my age but I don’t know where to go from here. Growing up, I’ve always felt like I’ve isolated myself from everybody else because I never liked hanging out with my friends, or I didn’t know how to. I feel like this is the same thing all over again, except now when I really want to do something, karma’s slapping me in the face.

I’m already stressed out about what I have to do towards my future. My parents are harping me over this too—after all, my major is undeclared. I’ve decided to do something with Health Science, but they’re still bugging me about exactly what it is I should do in that field. For example, they think I should do something with health administration. But I know for sure I would not enjoy doing something like that. Personally, I just want to take things as they come. If that means doing one thing and then going off doing something that truly satisfies me and (hopefully) that pays well, then so be it. They say they’re just trying to advise me to doing something good and secure with my life, but I feel pressured into doing something I don’t want to do.

AAANNDD… Through all this, I’m stuck mulling over stories and watching TV? It’s like this every freaking day, and I am so—sick—of—it :bang: :icon_sad:

(BTW, I wasn't sure if this thread belonged to the support & advice forum or the health forum :confused: I apologize if it's the latter.)

2. Adam123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ... I was reading your post and it's like you're me but a girl version... haha! I'm 19, bored as hell, trying to get my driving license this summer but pretty much nothing else, and my friends are all busy with summer jobs whereas I've left it too late to get one since I only have 3 weeks before I go on holiday with my family... I feel like I'm missing out loads, but I know when I get back to university in september I'll see all my university friends so I'm mainly looking forward to that.

aaaand I'm hoping to come out to my family this summer, so then maybe I can tell my friends (I've always wanted to tell my family first, just seems important that they be the first to know), and I'm kind of thinking that if I can do that, it will have been a successful summer.

I don't really have an advice for you sorry :S maybe try learning an instrument? or try and plan special days out with your friends like to theme parks or something so you have that to look forward to?

3. Hiems

I'm in an identical situation as you! I'm 18 and only have a driving permit. (I feel like Spongebob... when will I ever get my license? T_T)

Anyway, if you're looking for an at-home job, you could try Textbroker. As an author, you write articles for clients. You can choose among many topics. You seem to have an interest for writing, so you could put your abilities to good use. If you go for it, writer's block should seldom be an issue, as you can do some quick research on the topics before you write about them.

Regarding your situation in college, I can relate. My parents wanted me to major in Pharmacy for financial stability. I wanted to go for liberal arts, but I knew that they would not condone that (they're first-generation Asian parents). I have yet to work at a Pharmacy as an intern, so I'm still open-minded about this major...

If you decide to go for Health Science, you could do some research into job opportunities. If needed, you could explain your situation to your adviser and get some advice too.

4. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the responses guys :slight_smile:

I doing something like that right now, although learning an instrument sounds pretty good. Maybe someday when I have the money to afford one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Also, I wish you good luck on coming out to your parents & friends! I remember when I first came out to my best friend. It wasn't the best response I got since she was religious, but I felt a huge weight lifted from me, and she still supports me no matter what. Coming out to parents was a big ordeal for me, and it's gonna take time for them to really accept that about me, but I'm staying optimistic about it. I really hope everything works out for you. You've got my support (*hug*)

I'm glad we can relate over the college situation. It's just so much pressure because I want stability as well but I also want satisfaction. I plan to talk to an adviser and see where I can go from here. And I've never heard of Textbroker, thanks :slight_smile: I googled it and it sounds legit. I have some doubts but it sounds like it could really do me some good :icon_bigg How did you hear about it? Do you use Textbroker?

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i'm kinda in the same situation but due to different reasons.

I did not have a car for part of the summer because I was rear ended while stopped in traffic. My car was totaled.. and I just got a new one. I got my new car nearly a month after my accident.

Because of my neck injury, I was forced to stop my summer job search. I also found that since I did not have a car, many places would not hire me.

Then a really big storm came through my town and knocked all power out. Only 1% of my town had power. I did not have power for 6 days. During the power outage, I began to play my trombone again. Even after I got my power back on it helped a lot with bordom.

Other than my playing my trombone, I read a lot. I also get on the computer and find things to do.

6. Hiems

Hey again. My older brother told me about Textbroker. You submit a writing sample based on given topics, and it has a limited word count. Then you'll receive a rating from 1-5; 5 is a professional level I think.

I haven't started Textbroker yet because I'm still waiting for my writing sample rating. I sent it a week ago. The process could be delayed because I haven't submitted a W-9 tax form to the website yet. The website does not state that not sending a W-9 tax form delays the rating of the writing sample, but it will cap your earnings to $500.

Anyway, if you want to do Textbroker, I suggest that you submit the writing sample first, then fill out and mail the W-9 form as soon as you can (The link to the W-9 form is under the question regarding the tax form):

FAQ

Oh yeah, you also need to make a Paypal account in order to receive your earnings. If you haven't made a Paypal account yet, it only takes a few minutes to do so.

Good luck! ^^