1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh Boy!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pinklov3ly, Jul 13, 2012.

1. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope this isn't offensive, but I've been reading and watching the Jerry Sandusky case and well...my kids father believes that pedophilia occurs within homosexuality. I know this is not true because I've conducted a research paper about it; my conclusion estimates that 90ish of child molestation occurs with offenders being heterosexual...I'd like to get him to understand how badly he's misinformed...or I am wasting my time?

2. ryanninjasheep

Well, supposedly 10% of people are gay, so that is equal

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    What was the paper for? Was it a professional paper, did you write it for school, was it just for your interests? I'd also like to know some of your sources so I can look into those figures myself, actually...

Because research and credible sources are a help. Unfortunately, if your husband's views come from his own bigotry, it will be hard to change his mind. If he thinks that homosexuals= pedophiles simply because he's been misinformed or misled, then it might be easier to point out why he's wrong.

I think the best tactic is to remain mature and calm- people don't like being corrected, so if he gets upset, you should try to stay calm so the conversation doesn't turn into an argument. So I'd figure out what he thinks and why he thinks it, then calmly give him the facts to explain the truth.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The paper was for school and buried under a ton of old school books. I'd like to provide sources, but I truly don't remember the direct link, but I do know the website. I'm not trying to change his views, I'm just stunned that that's what he believes. We were raised differently, but he views are extremely absurd. Btw...I'm not married, he's the father of my kids. He's so against anything LGBT related.