1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crap...I'm In Trouble, I Think

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ToTheCeilingFan, Jul 13, 2012.

1. ToTheCeilingFan

To make a long story short, I've fallen hard for my best friend, and I'm pretty sure she's fallen for me too. There are several reasons why this is not at all convenient or healthy for our relationship, which I'll begin to list here:

- She's not out to her parents yet
    - Aforementioned parents are extremely strict and straight-laced (no pun intended)
    - I'm going off to college this fall, and while I'll only be two hours away, I'm pretty sure my life'll become waaaay busier and it'll be difficult to come home on a regular basis
    - I just got out of a bad relationship and I'm still questioning what I did wrong and how I could have missed the warning signs
    - She's never been in a relationship before and would probably be extremely hurt if it didn't work out
    - Perhaps this is obvious, but I'd also be extremely hurt if it didn't work out
    - She's my best friend and losing her would be excruciating for that reason as well

Despite all this, I really like her. I think I might even love her...I've loved her as a friend for a while but really started noticing her romantically last summer and lately she's been showing signs that she feels the same way. She's brilliant and kind and beautiful and she can make me laugh better than anyone.

Should I pursue this? Writing it all down, it seems destined to fail -- but there's definite chemistry between us and I'm not used to a person I like liking me back. Any advice would be supercalifragilisticexpiallidociously appreciated. Thanks! (*hug*)

2. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Hello there!
    I've always been one to believe that if something is meant to happen with someone it eventually will. You have listed a lot of reasons as to why this relationship wouldn't be a good idea. I would say that you should talk to your best friend about these feelings that you have for her because she seems like she would be pretty open to the idea. Do you have a definite answer as to whether she is interested in you or not?

I don't think there would be any harm in trying but your friendship may suffer because of this. But I think the best thing would be to talk to her!

3. Katelynn

My advice, forget your head & follow your heart! Some of the BEST romances start out as amazing friendships! If you nitpick & dissect everything both of you would have to face if you both were to date, then of course you will both doom yourselves to failure before either of you have begun. Dont think about what might happen, just focus on how you both feel & go from there. If she feels the same way for you, my guess is she will be willing to take the risk as well. And if things dont work out, you can always still be friends, it does happen after relationships end sometimes! Good luck hun, I hope for all the best for you both! :slight_smile:

4. Mercy

Mercy Guest

i say go for it !

5. Yuri

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe this relationship is definitely worth a shot! I was in a very similar situation: best friend, not out (me or her), long distance, no previous great relationship history for her and none at all for me. Despite all of this our faith in each other to make the relationship work was stronger than our fears. We've been a functioning, healthy relationship for about a month and I truly believe even if it doesn't work out, which I pray that doesn't happen, we will still be awesome friends. If she was truly your best friend you should go for it and if the worst does happen you should have each others friendship.

6. frogger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You're about where i was last year. I started college last fall and moved 3 hours away from my best friend who is now my girlfriend. End of last summer we had just started to figure out there was more to our friendship and that we both loved each other. Neither of our parents knew or had any clue and both our parents are strict Catholics. Once i left for college and was apart from her for a while I realized I couldn't live without her. We started dating about a month after i started college, and now a year later we couldn't be more happy together.
    If its meant to happen it will happen. You just need to listen to your heart and not your head. I spent many nights questioning if i loved my best friend and telling myself that i didnt (even though i did). I was totally afraid of losing her as a friend if the relationship didnt work out. I even told her that. You just need to let things go with the flow. Talk to her about it. I know that talking to my friend helped a lot, we figured things out and now we are together and u cant separate us.
    Another thing is long distance relationships suck, but if you trutly love the person it works out. I try to go home every other weekend to be with my girl, and i skype/call her constantly. You can make things work.

7. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Update please ??