1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self mutilation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Scenestealer, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Scenestealer

Out Status:
    A few people
    So I've been harming myself for five years now. My mom recently found out and took me to therapy, which didn't work, but I don't cut because of my depression, but for... other reasons. I don't know if I should or even how to aproach the subject with my mother.

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel, I used to self harm during my early teenage years. It helped me cope, but it left behind memories that I try to forget. I've had helped, but the underlining problem still lingered into my late teens; I just couldn't accept myself as gay. I had trouble discussing my problems with my family, especially my parents, so I sought help on my own. Are you okay with who you are? If you decide to talk to her make sure you're okay with her knowing. I feel like my family will never understand why, which makes me feel even more abnormal, but I've embraced who I am.

#2 pinklov3ly, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not bring it up with your therapist, rather than your mother? If you feel you're ready to tell your mother, that's cool, but otherwise, telling your therapist is really crucial since therapy isn't of any use if you can't be honest with your therapist :slight_smile:

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. Talk about these "other reasons," whatever they may be, with your therapist. They can't help you if they don't know what's going on. :slight_smile:

5. Eleanor Rigby

I've been self-harming for several years. I've been able to stop with the help of my therapist (who was awesome and I would never thank her enough) but only because I decided to be honest with her and open up completely, including about things I was hiding from myself.
    I completely agree with Chip. Whatever are the reasons why you're self-harming, opening up about it to your therapist would be the first step on the journey to stop self-harming.
    If you're not feeling comfortable enough with your current therapist to tell them, it's fine, but in that case I would strongly advice on finding another therapist with whom you'd feel comfortable with.
    Take care, Cécile

6. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, much like what everyone keeps saying, if you're unsure how to tell your mother, then, tell your therapist. Unless you self harm for masochistic reasons, the type of self harm also can dictate the severity of the issue, as well as other, more psychological reasons. (I used to burn, friction or otherwise). So since you don't seem like you want to tell us the reason you're cutting (which there's nothing wrong with) it is important that your therapist does know the reason, as it could influence how they try and help you.

Like I said, I did intentionally hurt myself, and sometimes I still do. I've also many had friends and acquaintances who hurt themselves (or still do) in various ways. Yet none of us had the same reason for doing so. So figuring out and accepting/working on the reason behind it is important if you want to stop it.

To answer your main issue:

It depends on how well your mum would deal with the information. Assuming she doesn't easily overreact to big news, then it'd be good to tell her, or at least to confide in someone, therapist, friend, or otherwise. If the person you confide in doesn't handle news of this caliber well, then that could do more harm than good.

Sorry what I said is vague, but I hope it helps.

7. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should tell your therapist because it will help you open up. There are reasons why you are doing what you are doing, and you need to talk about it to help you solve it.

8. Scenestealer

Out Status:
    A few people
    I absolutely love who I am. I'm masochistic.

---------- Post added 14th Jul 2012 at 09:18 AM ----------

My therapist doesn't believe what I say.

---------- Post added 14th Jul 2012 at 09:19 AM ----------

I'm working on finding a new one currently.

9. Scenestealer

Out Status:
    A few people
  10. spellbound

spellbound Guest

just keep trying to be positive...im not saying be happy or anything...sometimes you cant be. but def try to bring it up with your therapist. if they don't listen, try to convice them or get a new one. or talk to a good friend. my bff helped me get past cutting, although i still do when i dont know how else to cope. but i don't do it nearly as often. it is possible to move on. just stay stronger than yourself.

11. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Self harm due to masochism. So basically, would you tell your mom what your fetishes are? That's what it amounts to.

12. Roz

Roz

There are doctors and therapists that specialize in sexual deviance. It's worth looking into if you want some understanding or help with that.

13. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I'd like to say that ive conquered cutting and am stromger for it now... but i can't. not exactly.not now. i'm seeing someone(a counselorr, so to speak)- but i dont feel like we have nearly enough in common to tell her i'm gay- let alone that i sometimes still struggle with self mutilating habits. i, like my dear spellbound, try my best to stay positive. not to dwell on the things that gave me the urge to cut in the past. rejection, hostility, separation and being alone.i just had to remember to try to keep in my mind who and what i love. they are what keeps me sane.

14. PurpleCrab

Masochistic hum? There are ways to get your thrill without leaving permanent scars. Maybe you should look into groups for tips!

I also understand that you don't WANT to stop. That's an important point and, like smoking, you won't stop if you don't really want to. You could switch ways though.

Maybe misplaced comment but... haha I'd help. And I know for a fact that there is loads of people out there who would too.