1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In a rut need advice!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Carpenterguy, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Carpenterguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello, new here to the site looking forward to chatting and meeting new people. I grew up in a small rural town in Alberta. My family rodeod, own an oilfield service company. I came out when I was 19 with negative results my mom balled and my dad grabbed his heart like he was going to have a heart attach. And there was negative comments like u want to play with the pigs you will end up a pig. What about aids? They were more concerned about who I was going to tell and how far I was going to take it. So basically a friend took me under his wing and I lived with him in a big city 5 hours away from my family. They visited once only because my brother had a dirt bike race in the city. I have recently moved back home to be near my horse, Try and re-build a lost relationship. I recently gave my parents a 2 page letter saying that I didn't think they accepted my orientation, treated me differently etc than my siblings. They think only for themselves still after 9 years. I am wondering if I should sell my house I am building and walk away never to have contact with them again. I do have people that support me in who I am almost a surrogate family and am truly blessed to have them in my life. Am I being overly sensitive to the situation and should I just accept the fact they are what they are but in tern have to hide who I truly am as a person. I'm sick of being walked on, mentally exhausted and always trying to please other people instead of accepting myself. If I do this is lose a support blanket and can never look back. So nervous about what I should do and just need advice.

2. Night Rain

Can you tell more about your family? How exactly did they treat you? How about your brother?

What will you lose if you leave them?

3. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

It sounds like your parents still need time to get over what you told them. I don't really know if this is the best advice because I've never been in your situation but I think if you're happier away from them than you shouldn't have them in your life. It sounds like they are negative influences, maybe given more time they will come to accept you. But I think that you shouldn't have to hide who you are to anybody. Hope this helps!

4. Hey mate

I really respect you for having the courage to come out to your family, having to take a big risk in getting negative response. I am so sorry that they did give you that negative response and am sad to hear that they don't understand. I can not relate to your situation for I myself am really lucky with family who just kind of said "Okay, cool.....so what should we have for dinner tonight?". But I think that you should keep your doors open for them if they should come to understand what a brave and respectful man you are. Locking them out would, I think, be a bit contradicting if you really want them to support you. But I don't know your people... If you truly wish to get away from them and they are affecting your life for the worse then... well... not much you can do about it.

Good luck to you, man!