1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a girl

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cassidypaige, Jul 14, 2012.

1. cassidypaige

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am from California, but at the moment I'm living in this tiny Montana town. It's very small, and not extremely open minded.

I have hooked up with guys and had relationships with guys, more so then girls but I think that's because guys see me, a girl, and try to hook up with me, they take the initiative, so I constantly have guys in my face.

I'm not really loud and out there about my orientation, so I think girls that are bisexual or lesbian, just assume I'm straight and don't try to flirt with me or anything, and it's not like I can tell what a girls orientation is, so I can't take initiative.

I almost feel like it's ridiculous for me to just be like "I really want a girlfriend." but I really do, I want something real, a girl I can really connect with and I feel like I am preventing myself from getting that.

I guess I'm just wondering how do I get the vibe across that I am into girls, without putting myself on blast, all the time, to everybody?

Any ideas?

2. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

The best way is usually to come out. As you said, most people will assume you are straight. Friends can introduce you to girls who might be interested, and if you have some sort of visual signifier, like a rainbow bracelet, when you meet new girls, they will know that it's okay to flirt with you.

However, you said that the town you are in is not that open-minded, so coming out is probably not an option until you leave. You can try to go for a more subtle signal - the only one I can think of right now is a tattoo on the inner wrist, but there are more. The upside is that most straight people won't know what it means. The downside is that, depending on how obscure the signal, only a few LGBT people will recognize it, defeating the point.

Are you planning on going to college, or at least moving out of the town to a larger, more open-minded one? It's not uncommon at all for gay, bisexual, and other queer people to not have had any same-sex relationships in high school, especially those in situations like yours. Later in life there are a lot more opportunities to meet potential partners.