1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misinterpreted experience- what to do!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Reader, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Reader

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In a nutshell, my best friend, whom I've had growing strong feelings for since I met her over three years ago, invited me round her house, as she usually does, but this time she started intimately kissing me.
    She is the only person excluding my doctor who knows of my sexuality, and she knows how much I feel for her and how I've struggled with it.
    We started being intimate with eachother whenever we saw eachother, and without sounding awfully corny it made me feel the happiest I have done for years.
    About four months after our first experience, she calls me and casually mentions she has a boyfriend.
    Now she acts like nothing happened between us, and keeps telling me about how great her boyfriend is. She really isn't being at all malicious, but I am absolutely devestated. I want to be there for her as a friend but I find it so difficult to hear about how well she is getting on with her boyfriend.
    I hate the thought that I was just maybe some kind of experiment to her, since I love her. If she is straight, (which I have always assumed she is and come to terms with, and which she says she is) then why tell me that she loves me and be like that with me?
    :icon_redf

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is really hard to tell. It's possible she's bisexual, and it's also possible she is closer to lesbian, but in strong denial. If she seemed really into the experiences with you, it's hard to argue she's 100% straight as straight women generally wouldn't be interested in experimenting, and certainly not more than once.

But unfortunately, there isn't much you can do if she's decided to try and be straight and have a boyfriend. This sucks, but really, it's something she has to come to on her own.

3. Reader

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If she seemed really into the experiences with you, it's hard to argue she's 100% straight as straight women generally wouldn't be interested in experimenting, and certainly not more than once.
    (Sorry haven't figured how to quote yet!)
    This seems likely that she isn't straight as before, more than once, she's kissed me in response to a supposed "dare", and to be honest she came onto me, and has even asked me to come to Pride with her (although she said it was purely because of my sexuality)!Thankyou, this helps understand this a bit more, though of course I can never be entirely sure. I suppose all I can do is be there for her as a friend and support her. :confused::cry:

#3 Reader, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012