1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are transgendered people wrong?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by scheibe, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scheibe

First off I'm gay. So I've had this thought are transgendered people wrong? We were either born gay or born lesbian. But how are we born transgendered? You were either born as male or female. Is it right to alter God's creation when someone chooses to be transgendered? In that case if "god makes no mistakes" being transgendered is wrong and you were not born that way.

Think about it. Transgenders are artificially created by human beings and have only been made possible due to science and technology.

If you're going to say that transgendred people don't feel comfortable as a boy or girl and they want to change, then what if someone who is black wants to become white because they feel "uncomfortable". Of course that would be ridiculous because they were born black. The same is true if you were born boy or girl. It would be ridiculous and unnatural.

What are your thoughts, comments?

2. kizza111

Well i think it's absolutely fine if thats what the person wants.

I just want to say though to other people that reply, this post may offend transgendered people on the site or likewise any person on this site, but please don't turn it into a hateful argumentative post, He asked his question politely and sensitively enough so I think everyone should be mature enough to answer in kind :slight_smile:.

Aha there's me talking about maturity when i'm 16... xD

3. Jim1454

Simply put, lots of people in society would have the same argument about men being gay. It isn't natural, it isn't the way God intended, etc. So I would like to think that someone who is gay can be open minded enough to consider the possibilities that transgendered people really do exist, and what they feel about themselves is true and valid, and that they should be allowed to feel that way without facing this kind of questioning.

4. Mogget

Medically speaking, there's fairly good evidence that many trans people* have brain maps that are more typical for the sex they identify as than their biological sex.

More generally, just because something isn't natural doesn't mean it's against God's will to change it. Perhaps the quintessential example of this, biblically speaking, is Jesus' healing of the man born blind in John 9.

In modern times, we are able to provide prosthetic limbs for people who either lose limbs or are born without them, eye surgery to cure blindness, hearing aids to allow the deaf to hear, and so on. Unless all of those things are against God's will too, I so no reason why transsexuality would be any different.

To say "God makes no mistakes" is to ignore the very real reality of horrific birth defects, mental illness, deadly pathogens, and much else besides. Whether this is the consequence of a world fallen into sin or something else is a question I'll leave to the theologians.

*Note: referring to trans people as "transgenders" is extremely rude, as it reduces them to their transgenderedness, rather than recognizing their humanity. "Transgendered people" is also impolite. In general "trans people," "trans* people" (the asterisk indicates that the trans prefix could be followed by "-gender" or "-sexual" among other things), or "transgender people" are the preferred terms.

5. LailaForbidden

I agree with Jim. Wholeheartedly. Dont get me wrong here, i mean no offense, but it seems that you are seeing the world in black and white, like with the gay and lesbian comment. What about bisexuals? In my experience, sexuality is more on a spectrum and, like with anything in life, there is a huge gray area. Same goes for gender. So, people are not just male and female.. but adrogynous, trans, ect. To put someone in a confining label who you know nothing of while even attempting to understand their feelings and experiences - whether with sexuality or gender - seems a bit discriminitory to me. My point here is, just because some people stray from what is average does not mean that they are "unnatural" and their feelings are just a valid as someone who is gay, bi, straight, androgynous, agendered, trans... you get the idea. Just like you, they are people that deserve to be who they truly are. They deserve happiness.

#5 LailaForbidden, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  6. kizza111

From the way you quoted me it looks like you think I think transgenered people are wrong? I just want to point out that is the exact opposite of what i said, i was just highlighting the fact that some people could take offence to the OP and to remain civil in the discussion. If that's not what you meant when you quoted me at all then please ignore me :slight_smile:

7. Jim1454

OK, having got a response in the thread quickly, I'll clear up a couple of other points. I'm not an expert but I'll do my best...

Transgendered people essentially feel like the opposite gender. They have the body of one gender but the mind / spirit of the other. They experience this conflict growing up that I'm sure is hard to explain to someone who hasn't experience it - just as it's hard to explain to a straight person that you're not attracted to the opposite sex but instead the same sex.

Transgendered people can be born gay or straight. Their sexual identity is not tied to their sexual orientation. The two are different. They can be male physically and feel that they are female - often referred to (here anyway) as mtf transgendered. But they might be attracted to other females, which would make them lesbian.

Recognize that not everyone here believes in God and we need to respect that. Just as we expect those who don't believe in God to respect those who do.

Also recognize that being transgendered isn't a choice. It is who that person is. Just like being gay isn't a choice. As you said - you're born that way.

Personally, I feel that God did intend for me to be gay, so I'm living my life as a gay man. If I were transgendered, I think I would have to believe that God had created me that way as well - for some reason. And that I'd accept it and work through it on the assumption that this is what God wanted me to do. I wouldn't view it as a mistake.

You don't actually have to 'transition' (i.e. have the reassignment surgery) to be considered transgendered. Many transgendered people don't. But even for those who do, they would consider themselves to be transgendered before the surgery. They aren't created by science and technology - they are created because they 'are'.

What if someone said the same thing to you about being gay?!? Couldn't it be said that dating a woman would make you 'uncomfortable'? So what? Just get over it! Wouldn't you consider that person to be insensitive? I think so. I would. The analogy isn't anywhere near appropriate.

The fact is, until you've walked a mile in someone elses shoes you probably shouldn't judge. And your post comes across as being fairly judgemental... Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Support. Accept. Encourage.

8. Gen

Gen

Oh dear, I have a feeling this is going to turn sour :frowning2:.

But, although I am not transgender, I do get what they are feeling. I think the difference between wanting to be a certain race or look a certain way and being transgendered is that race and looks are based on the view of society. Most people want to look a certain way because its see as "better". Transgender people dont feel confrontable in thier sex because thats not how they see themselves. Its doesnt see right. Its really more of a internal struggle than simply wanting to look differently. Its more than just looking a gender but feeling like them. So I would think it would be far more than skin deep.

My heart goes out to them because if they were considered more in society than they would be treated worse than even GLB are. They arent really brought out, nor are they usually believe. People just assume that they must be the drag queens or something of the sorta.Though as far as religion. Although I have my own beliefs, everyone's varies. That is why I wouldnt use that as a reasons because its such a opinionated topic.

Honestly, I dont believe they could be "wrong" for the same reason gay people arent "wrong". Because why would anyone want to choose to be something that isnt widely excepted when they could just be "normal".

9. Jim1454

Yes - sorry. In my haste I actually quoted the wrong post!

10. Zontar

Except that there's substantial evidence that gender identity is a distinct, existing, immutable characteristic, mainly drawn from the disastrous results of "fixing" hermaphrodites shortly after birth. Before the mid-twentieth century, it was once thought that gender was a social construct and you were whoever you were raised as, but after adults born with "fixed" hermaphrodism began offing themselves due to severe body image problems, that was found not to be quite the case.

The current theory with transgendered people is that their gender identity doesn't match their birth sex, causing nearly identical confidence and image problems in children and adults who weren't born hermaphrodites at all. On this theory, this is considered a valid bona fide DSM-IV disorder.

So far, there's no actual way to cure gender dysphoria, which is where the current protocol comes in. Until major advances in neurosurgery are made, the best workaround is the series of "artificially made" surgeries you refer to. Because of their effects on reducing (but not eliminating) gender dysphoria, they're generally considered necessary medical treatment like anything else. It's the best we can do for now, really.

To address whether or not being transgender or seeking treatment for it is "wrong", compare your resources. One book, the DSM-IV, is a peer-reviewed medical reference carefully composed from over half a century of research. The other is a philosophical text written by hallucinating cavemen. Before you label transgender people as "sinners", I invite you to consider the absurdity of slapping the sinner label on someone based on their being. Do you call anyone else with mental disorders "sinners"? Gender dysphoria is even recognized by extremely far-right religions such as Twelver Shi'a Islam in Iran, of which its highest clerics do not recognize transitioning as sinful or immoral...all on the basis of its psychological validity.

Finally, to date, no analog has been drawn to things like an immutable racial identity as you suggest. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but "mismatches" of this nature are obviously uncommon if it does.

#10 Zontar, Jul 17, 2012
  11. scheibe

Thanks for all of your replies. I can't argue here lol. But some of the things you guys said are interesting and some I find confusing.

12. Katelynn

I agree with most of what has been said, but I would like to add that, as a Christian gay trans woman, I believe that I am this way bc God chose to test me. As the old sayiing goes, God doesnt give a person any more than he believes they can handle. I think that, in some way, this is a test of strength. Being trans may not be something God necessarily intended, but the test of becoming myself may be something He wants me to see thru. Just as I believe God doesnt hate gay people bc He makes them that way, I think trans people are the same way...

13. scheibe

This was just a thought, but I'm confused about your orientation. Why would you become M t F and be a lesbian? Why wouldn't you want to stay male and be straight and still have an attraction for women?

#13 scheibe, Jul 17, 2012
  14. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure if I should be offended or disgusted...

Edit: It's TRANSGENDER not transgendered. Transgendered isn't a word, nobody slapped me with a transgender then jumped out with cameras yelling "You just got transgendered".

15. scheibe

Neither. It was just a thought and question I had. I don't mean to offend you, I was just being curious.

16. she is a woman she didnt one day decide to become one. she was just born in the wrong body :slight_smile:

17. scheibe

Doesn't M t F mean male to female?

18. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That, right there is why I think I get to be pretty damned offended/disgusted. Your account has all of 4 posts which drives me to believe that you made it for the sole reason of this thread.

I am not artificial, I am not subhuman, I am a fucking person with a disability and am using medicine to fix it. I didn't 'choose' to be transgender, nobody chooses to have a severe hatred for their body.

19. yeah... just because she has a males body doesnt make her less of a woman.

shes a male BODIED female in transition to a more happier female :slight_smile:

20. scheibe

I know, but only to be lesbian? I don't get it. Why not stay a male and have an attraction towards women as a male. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.