1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell confusion from denial?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rx79g, Jul 17, 2012.

1. rx79g

I used to get on here a lot to post or read but I haven't in a long time. I was still really unsure about my sexuality and I decided that I needed to just leave it be and not think about it so I stopped coming here. Well I did step back and let it go and it came back to me as still unsure. I keep going from one day thinking "I know I'm gay" to "I have no clue". What brings me here is that I don't know anymore if I'm actually unsure or just denying it by telling myself I'm not sure.

Has anyone else been through this situation? If so, what signs do you look for that show you're in denial? Are there any thought patterns that are red flags? Do people always go through this and it just settles after a while? I don't know what to do and it makes me feel sick because I'm so afraid of being wrong and coming out as one thing and then going back on it.

2. Catkin

I can't offer you much advice as I am in an almost identical situation myself, but I can tell you that you aren't alone in feeling like this. I can't tell confusion from denial anymore either. You may have already done this, but one thing that I've found helpful is to write about your thought processes on EC. Sometimes when everything is completely mangled up in your own head, you need someone with an outside perspective to point out the flaws of your arguments. Thanks for making this thread by the way, I'll be watching to see what answers you get.

3. kizza111

I found that if you're actively thinking about the possibility of you being in denial, you probably aren't in denial. I think you're more than likely confused, because you seem to be trying hard to figure it out rather than ignore it and hide it away.