1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderfluid

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ahendrix12, Jul 18, 2012.

1. ahendrix12

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've heard this term thrown around a lot lately, mostly on tumblr if anywhere. So I looked it up the other day and it seems to be very much something I kind of do.

I've been out as a lesbian for 6 years. I'm just much a butch lesbian, wear men's clothes and have a short hair cut, even buzzed at times. I get called Sir more times than I can count but it's never bothered me. Ever. I shrug it off and in some situations, I go with it because it suits me better at that time. I've also been told that I have a very androgynous face and body. And I agree with that, besides my boobs, I definitely have too much boob to fully pass as a man.

So I've been seriously thinking about slipping in and out of the male gender. It's something that I would be very comfortable with and I really want to do. I wouldn't go as far as calling myself trans, because I love my body and I don't want to get rid of it. I love being a woman. So I don't really know if what I want to do would be considered genderfluid or what it would be considered. But It's something I very much want to do. But I've never really heard of women doing that. I mean I have in some instances but not like what I'm saying. I would like to be able to wrap and go out as a man but then again I would love to go out as a woman too. Not like dressed like a woman, but my butch self I guess. I just would like to push that farther sometimes and wrap and what not.

So I guess my question is, what is that called? Is there anyone else on here like that? And also, how do I approach my partner about it? She's a very open woman but I don't know how she'll react to this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and answer, sorry if I sound ignorant about the whole subject, but that's why I came here.

Thanks again, lovelies.

2. Pat20uk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i can relate but the other way around. ima gay boy and somehow effeminate... sometimes i would like to go out in proper girl feminien clothes and hair but at the same time i like my male bits and accept them fully. I used to obsess over it a lot but now i just dont care it is what it is, do what amkes u happy. you can be a "guy" on mondays and a girl on tuesdays if it makes you happy... theres no need to look for a label.

I would say you are just Bigendered... meaning you've got 2 genders and you like some bits from female some from male :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. ahendrix12

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really like that term, actually it's spot on what I feel like. Thanks for the reply. :] I just hope I'll be able to bring it up to my partner. :confused:

4. hiddenxrainbows

I'm in the same boat. Ima girl, but I'm definitely more tomboyish than girlie. Most of the time, I wear jeans or basketball shorts, and tshirts. And I have short hair, which sometimes gets me mistaken as a guy. Not that I really care, cuz I don't. But I don't want a penis. Well I've actually thought about it a few times, but I would never actually go through the surgery cuz I like my body the way it is already.

And I get whatcha mean. I've been thinking about this for the past week or so. I kinda don't wanna call myself female anymore, cuz I don't feel JUST female, I feel like a mix. And I was actually thinking about maybe talking to my boyfriend about it. he's my best friend too and I talk to him about everything, and he's usually pretty chill about it. But I don't know how he'd take to me saying his not just dating a woman...I'm afraid he'll judge and not understand. Plus I'm not entirely sure how to bring it up anyway.i. I mean, how do you say something like that to someone?

5. ahendrix12

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I know what you mean...

I finally got the balls to bring it up to my girlfriend last night... It wasn't all rainbows and sparkles like I had hoped.. I brought up the binding part first and she seemed to be okay with that part. Said it wasn't a big deal and what not. But then when I brought up the whole thing of going out as a Male, she really kind of freaked out. So I tried and tried to explain it to her, but it's really hard to explain something like that to someone who doesn't know how it feels.

We've been together for four years and I know she supports me in every way... But I think this is a little to much for her. She said she needed a few days to think about everything. But before that she asked if we needed to take a break so I could "find" myself. I don't think I need that.. I know who I am, because I've been thinking about it for months. I just don't fit in the female/male category. I know that sometimes I'm going to want to bind and go out as a male. And I would like her support in doing this. I just don't know if she's up for it and I'm starting to think this was all a really bad idea. I just hope she comes back to me in a couple days and says she supports me fully. :icon_sad:

6. Aielar

I feel the same way as some of the other posters above - I prefer my body the way it is but some days I feel more masculine than feminine. I've heard the term genderfluid, and it fits the best for me so that's what I'm going with at the moment. I have an acquaintance who tries to get me to wear things that are more feminine, but I find the concept unappealing. Anyways, good luck with your girlfriend :slight_smile:

7. ahendrix12

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, and yeah, I've noticed a lot more people are like that than I thought before.

I've decided to slow it down and just start binding. Because the more I think about it the more I've already thrown myself into both Genders. I wear mens clothing and what not. I'm still a woman but I dress more manly. So I'm getting binder but that's all I'm changing. I think that's going to be best for me. :]

Thanks for all the replies and I hope those of you who are wanting to change like this get to and have a positive experience. :]