1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seniority intimidation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by suckonpronouns, Jul 18, 2012.

1. suckonpronouns

This probably seems so silly to some if not most of you, but I may or may not be experiencing some intimidation from the forums already. I guess I don't waste any time at getting overwhelmed. Haha.

Anyway, cutting to the chase. Being a noob to Empty Closets, I feel slightly intimidated by the forums and am hesitant to post (which is probably why I'm more often a lurker on forums in general). I guess I feel that my thoughts/feelings/opinions/etc. will just be seen as invalid because I'm new to EC. I feel horrible that that's the case because I'm basically generalizing things and making you all seem like you'll just overlook me and that the EC community isn't open to having new members but for some reason, my mind just isn't letting it go. I'm sure the simplest (seemingly) way to correct this is to just start posting and hope my mind is proven wrong, but have any of y'all experienced this when first joining EC or any other online community? If so, how'd you overcome it and erase your noob-status anxiety?

2. Mogget

Stick around, reply to other people's posts, start your own threads. I've never seen a thread ignored just because it was from a newbie. Usually our newest members are the ones with the most problems and we all make a major effort to help you guys. However, if you'd rather have a one-on-one conversation you're free to PM me or any other staff member.

3. Peanuts

As a newbie, I can't say anything at all concerning the main issue, but yeah, I do feel slightly intimidated whenever I join new communities. I think it doesn't really matter that much though as long as you keep putting yourself out there. Check this out. I know it's just Wikipedia, but yeah, it seems to be true. Keep making posts and contributing. I bet eventually you'll be one of those ''seniors'' to the newbies. c;

4. timo

I can see what you mean. I've lurked for a couple of months before finally deciding to register and started posting myself. Used to think people wouldn't care about my threads and posts and that my help wouldn't be helpful, but they/we do care. EC is by far the most helpful and also pretty awesome community I've ever joined. You'll be fine! And of course... welcome! :icon_bigg

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll echo this - we all want to hear what you (or anyone) thinks, and what's on your mind. :grin: Don't feel intimidated - jump right in.

6. BudderMC

When I first joined, I think I lurked for about a year before I posted minimally frequently, and even then I was always posting about my problems in Support and Advice. It took me a while to work my way up to joining the other parts of EC. Honestly though, it really helped; it made me realize that there's more to the LGBT community than just our problems.

Anyway, EC is great for a number of reasons, but mostly because you can help no matter what. The vast majority of us aren't professionally trained or anything, so even though we strive to help each other as much as we can, it's usually based off of anecdotal evidence. In that sense, EVERYONE'S stories matter, since they're all different and all offer unique insight. And if your story isn't different, well then... you get the lucky opportunity to be the one who can "just relate" to the poster. And honestly, sometimes that's all people want (and need), is to know that they aren't alone.

That's the support side of EC anyway, how I see it. The other sections, just post in whatever interests you. I'll try and get in on the science-y stuff, anything related to my hobbies... just chiming in in threads is enough to feel like I'm learning something new. I like challenging people's opinions, so I think I've tried to make that my unofficial "role" per se. Hence the "Devil's advocate" bit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'll echo what Mogget said though, just stick around here long enough and you'll fit right in eventually. Before you know it you'll realize we won't bite your face off for posting and you won't be able to leave :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I learned about this in my psych class yesterday! It's definitely true. By the same effect, you're more likely to be friends with someone living next door to you rather than a few doors down from you. I think it was something like a 30% difference in likelihood of being friends over the span of an 88 foot distance in an apartment complex, in the study we were talking about.

(and that's what I mean when I say just talk about whatever you're interested in; psych is one of those things for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

And welcome to EC!

7. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I felt the same way three years and nearly 2,500 posts ago. It isn't nearly as intimidating as it feels. EC is full of friendly and accepting people who are all eager to help, chat, console, share past experience with you, and so much more.

Welcome to what may well be the best place (I've found, anyway) on the Internet. :slight_smile:

8. cscipio

I only joined back in January. Friendliest bunch I've ever met.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember when I first joined I had this. This was the first forum that I had ever joined.. so I was not sure if I was going to mess things up...lol

Don't worry, we aren't going overlook you because you're new. I think that it is a natural feeling though. It's kinda like when you are in a group of people that you do not know. You're kind of hesitant to say anything, but when you do you realize that things are going to be fine.

10. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually don't even pay attention to the post count or the join date. If I can help and am feeling up to it I'll definitely post to whatever ^,^

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I combatted this by posting more in the fun and games sections to start with, then by doing this I got to know a few people and exchanged wall posts with a few which made me feel more at home and then things grew from there.

12. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Post in threads as much as possible, if not the advice ones then the fun and games or entertainment/media ones. Find stuff you like and write on the thread. If you see something interesting somebody said, write on their wall. I've made friends on here by noticing somebody posting about TV shows or music I like, or by them having avatars relating to those things, and then going to talk to them about it on their walls.

13. pancake111

Every forum benefits from new points of view. You're going to be a noobif you don't post.just put out your opinion whenever possible and you'll find yourself fitting in with the community :slight_smile:

14. Ben

Ben

When I started on EC, I set myself a goal of two or three posts a day until I settled in. It's the same when I'm a noob to anything—online or not—I find that if you want to feel comfortable getting involved in something new, it helps to push the boat out a few times regularly until you're ready to take on the world and your boat is sailing free! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. lilbitlost

i used to be nervy of forums but ive been on the net and various gaming forums (which are really vicious places!) that im totally unbothered now, i just wade in, plonk me butt down and join in. The guys had some really good advice above me ^^ so just wade along with me!

16. suninthesky

Post in other's threads and stick around. Then you'll have 50 posts and a 2 week status, and you can be a full member and join in the chat room.

You'll be fine <3 Welcome to EC!