1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding the courage to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Algorithm, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Algorithm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello! I need some help/advice on coming out to my parents (and immediate family):

I've known I've been gay for more than a few years now and I have been seeking tips on coming out for a while. I think I read everything I could find on the web on the subject.

Becoming accepting and comfortable with my sexuality, I came out to a couple of friends on Twitter in October, who have been very supportive and gave me their congratulations. However, I didn't do anything since.

For me, the last and only step I need to take now is to come out to my parents (and soon after, my brothers). I decided it would be best to do so in person, but summoning up the courage to tell them seems impossible. Being close to my family, I'm afraid that our relationship will change. Yet, I want to come out to get closer to them, and I feel they deserve to know.

As for their reactions, I'm unsure, but I have a feeling they'll be accepting. The news will probably come as a shock to them, as even today both have made references to having girlfriends. I think my mom knows something is bugging me lately because she has been asking me once in a while if I had anything to tell her.

I was wondering if any of you had tips on overcoming this fear. Moreover, could you help me find the proper words to initiate the conversation? Thanks.

2. Myra48

Hi, I'm in a similar situation. I live with my grandma and lately she has become very homophobic. I don't know what to do. I want to tell her but I also am afraid that our relationship will change. A few days ago she told me that she doesn't want anybody in her family to be gay, and even asked me if I was gay. I blurted out no before I could think. However, now she keeps saying that she loves me so Im not sure if she is letting me know that it's ok, kind of confused :frowning2:
    If you think they'll be accepting, then just be honest with them. Let them know that your reason for comming out is to get closer with them.