1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Don't I Do It?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BuzzFledderjohn, Jul 19, 2012.

1. So, I've fully come out to myself over the past year and am completely comfortable with myself. SO surely the next step would be coming out to people, right? Well I'd like to start with my parents and yet I just can't do it. I have no reason to believe it'd be negative my dad said at one point "The first girl or guy you bring home is going to love playing with your hair." (Er...long story.) My parents are also both teachers and I have overheard them talking about their kids and my mom mentioned this gay boy whose family basically rejected him and she went on and on about how much it disgusted her that his family could do that. (Recently she even brought him back from his high school to her junior high to perform at the talent show she was putting on.)

Even my friends ALL have gay friends and one of my friends even got me to go along with her plan where she pretended to be gay to educate her homophobic uncle. Surely this is every gay guys fantasy right? Well for some reason I can't motivate myself to just say "I'm gay." to them. It's obviously not from fear of rejection I honestly don't know why I don't do it. Basically what the hell is wrong with me?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nothing is wrong with you.. It's is just hard to do. My parents are not homophobic at all and I was scared to tell them as well.

One thing that I have found is it is hard to find the right timing to tell people. I know that I just don't want to randomly put it into a conversation. So, maybe try to start a conversation about something gay related and then you could go from there.

Maybe if you cannot say it out loud to them, you could write a letter. I know a ton of people that have written letters when they came out because the cannot say it out loud.

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Honestly, it was hard for me to tell my family I liked guys, even though I was certain they'd be okay with it. And I still can't figure out why I was afraid. It's like one of those things where even though you know it's going to turn out okay, and you'll be fine, you're still intimidated.

I think thecat06 had it right- try starting a conversation about something gay-related, and you may be able to use that to come out.

There's nothing wrong with being afraid. Just wait until you're ready, and you can come out then- there's no need to rush.