1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Given an inch...took a mile?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cscipio, Jul 22, 2012.

1. cscipio

I have some friends (male/female couple) who are beyond accepting of my orientation and actually like to talk about it with me - as in, they're genuinely interested. We get drunk and sit up until 3:00AM talking. I like to talk about it and like the attention because I usually have it all bottled up in my semi-out mind.

Anyhow, sometimes, drunkenly, I feel as if I say too much. The guy - Jim - is adorably handsome and had a beautiful voice. What being asked what I like and don't like his girlfriend will use him as an example. He seems ok with it, but, usually I filter my responses to remain 'respectful'. Anyhow, sometimes I think I answer too candidly. Jim seems ok with it, but I want to avoid coming near that tipping point where it becomes akward or simply inappropriate.

Anyone else ever have this sort of thing? I don't want to say "Let's not discuss that" because I really do...I'd rather not discuss it in terms of Jim if that makes sense.

2. Neutrality

I tell my friends that I won't answer questions about their bodies because either way they won't like the response. I explain that if I say I'm attracted to them they will get uncomfortable and if I say I'm not attracted to them they will get offended so I'd rather just not say and then I remind them not to ask questions that they don't really wanna know the answer to.

3. Ianthe

Tell the girlfriend exactly that--that you'd rather not use Jim as an example, because it runs the risk of becoming very uncomfortable if you go to far, and maybe it would be better if you used celebrities or something. It's kind of strange to talk about someone like that while they are present, particularly when it's one-sided.