1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clueless about life after high school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Adamant715, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Adamant715

Adamant715 Guest

Hey guys,

I'm currently about to enter into my senior year of high school and I have to admit, it's kinda terrifying me. I have no idea where I'm going with my life and my mom has been nagging me about it a lot. At first I wanted to do something with computers, but after actually working on them with a friend of my moms, I ended up quitting about 4 or 5 months ago. The overall idea of sitting in front of a computer all day (which is what I did) was kind of annoying as I do enough of it in my free time. The only real thing I've ever wanted to do with my life since I was a kid was be a video game developer;however, my brother is always telling me it's not a practical job and is very competetive, so that kinda makes me feel crappy about it.

Also, I'm kinda in the dumps about not having a job. I haven't applied anywhere as of recently because I'm just afraid of social interaction in general thanks to my social anxiety.

But yeah, I just kinda feel like I'm not moving forward with ANYTHING right now.. and it sucks. :frowning2:

2. ameliawesome

i've graduated college and am currently unemployed and living with my parents and i hope to pay off my student loans before i'm 33 years old. feeling doubtful and unsure and like a slave to the system does indeed suck. my ideal advice to you is to pursue any sort of education that interests you, but apply for scholarships! unless your parents are going to pay for your education. you do not want to pay student loans. if your parents are going to pay for it, go ahead and take advantage of that. if nothing else you'll learn more about yourself in college. if you want to work first then there's nothing wrong with that, or if you want to work now with the intention of focusing on a field of study later that's also a good basic plan. people push college because they think it's the best idea, and it certainly isn't a bad idea, but it isn't the only idea. and don't listen to naysayers, there isn't anything wrong with pursuing a competitive goal. i majored in the subject that was easiest for me because all i really wanted to do was party. and i had some great parties. but i did not take advantage of the resources i had at school and now i have no idea what i'm going to do. i'm somewhat okay with that, but i am annoyed that i'm paying for education that i barely use now because i was too lazy to take it seriously. also! there isn't anything wrong with just living! you'll gain valuable experiences in whatever you choose to do. jump into life. you're young enough yet to change your mind several times before you figure something out. hell, so am i. and i'm clueless about life after college :slight_smile:

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, if you're fortunate enough, do not get sucked into applying for student loans. They literally come back to bite you in my butt. I have a BS in Criminal Justice, yet haven't found a job in my field; I wanted to be a police officer, but they're getting rid of cops due to city debt. The medical field is booming, try that and I know how you feel when it comes to the social anxiety. It does get better once you face your fears, I've presented numerous presentations in front of many people, nervous every time. Perhaps, relaxation techniques will help, but I take Xanax, it's truly a life saver :slight_smile:

#3 pinklov3ly, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  4. bob94

I was in your shoes a year ago. I'll be starting college next month. Right now, I would worry about applying to as many scholarships as you can. Like other people have said, you don't want to have to rely on student loans. Most people would be shocked if they realized how much scholarship money goes unrewarded because nobody applied for them.

Career-wise, it is very hard to balance what you like with what is the most practical. Try to take advanced and a variety of classes your senior year. That will help you get prepared for college, and it may give you a better idea of what you want to do. Once you go to college, you'll most likely be required to take a variety of courses to cover your gen ed. That may also help you figure out where you want to go into as a career.

5. Adamant715

Adamant715 Guest

Sorry for the late reply!

But yeah, that's definitely helpful. Thanks! The anxiety has definitely lessened since I started school 2 weeks ago. Surprisingly, a lot of focus has been put on applying for colleges, looking into majors, etc. So I'm glad about that. Definitely not as worried as I was about 5 weeks ago. :grin: