1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two years in a new city-and still no friends.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by oblina, Jul 23, 2012.

1. oblina

Hey... So I recently moved from my hometown (a horrible city that literally speaks of racism and homophobia on its wikipedia), to one of the larger cities in America. I had friends in high school but developed depression in college, and I can't seem to meet anybody.

Whenever i do meet someone, if that ever happens , i get the overwhelming feeling that I am bothering them. Who would want to talk to me?I even doubt my posts on this site, and have been confining myself to the anonymous section without meaning to. Everything I do I judge and this has led to me meeting basically nobody but my girlfriend and her friends, and that's only because she finds social awkward me to be cute and can accept me. But other than her there's no one. Adding to the fact I lost all my friends from home (bestie for 7 years and since 2nd grade included) when one kissed my now-ex and the other took her side.

Am I the only one who feels like this? How can I get out of this rut and meet people, get over my insecurities?I don;t mean to come off as winy but I don't know who else to ask.

2. Ianthe

Get involved in some kind of activity that you are interested in, and you will meet people that way. What are your favorite things to do?

3. BornAnew

From reading what you said I think it might your pretty shy, or between shyness and slight social anxiety.

Overcoming Social Anxiety & Shyness: Amazon.co.uk: Gillian Butler: Books

I would recommend getting this book, I heard it's helped people a lot in that regard!

I'm really shy myself and also felt that I "bother" people when I talk to them & that I'm not "worthy" of being spoken to in a big social event. But the book is helping me change that view, they have some cool exercises you can do in there & stuff!

Ianthe is right too, get involved in something you love doing but in a club so you meet like minded people!!

4. Bromancer

Bromancer Guest

I can't imagine that this will help much, but I know exactly how you feel, Oblina. What's worse (in my head) is that I moved back to my hometown about two years ago and still feel like a stranger. Any friendship I'd had in the past ran its course (for whatever reasons), so I feel completely alone. Words cannot describe how depressing and oppressive it feels. I hope you find what you're looking for!