1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother issues.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Doctor, Jul 25, 2012.

1. The Doctor

So I've been having issues for years now, but this year they've seriously escalated, to the point where I'm counting down the days until I turn 16 and can move out.

Basically, it all starts with her seeming bipolar stuff. As far as I know, she doesn't actually have bipolar disorder, but she often comes across that way. Really small things can set her off, and she just screams until what she wants happens. For instance, yesterday, I was sitting on the couch watching a movie, and my little brother says "Mom, I finished cleaning my room", and she just goes BALLISTIC at me. She started yelling that I was a lazy ass, and I needed to clean my room, and how dare I not have done that. It's things like that EC, every hour, every day! It's driving me crazy! Then, only to add to the stress, I was accidently outed in a way I wouldn't have liked, (I accidently left an email exchange between me and my almost-boyfriend open on her computer), and she said, and I quote "Isn't it funny how you think you know you're gay?". I tried to explain to her that I was, and it's something she has to trust me on. She seems intent on believing it's only a phase, and that I'll get over it soon. And don't even get me started on my Dad, who has basically disappeared from my life now that I'm out. Sorry for the rant thing, but I seriously need advice. :tantrum:

2. boilingintexas

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My grandmother is almost the same way. I wish I had some advice to give you, but all we do is humor her to the point that she finishes and walks away. . . Nobody wants to actually broach the subject of any possible disorders with her, and we all feel that with how tough of a life she had, she deserves the oppertunity to give it back.
    Does your father work a job where he's away for long periods of time? We think my grandma is crazy because he would work out of country for months at a time.

3. The Doctor

Nope. He works across the street.

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Your mom reminds me of mine. She would get extremely upset over small things, like, for example, me not being able to find something in the refrigerator. She would find some way to insult me in a small way on an almost daily basis. And if I ever dared talk back to her...well I only dared do it twice. The first time, she told me to get out of the house, but then changed her mind before I got out the door and instead settled on throwing a temper tantrum. The second time, I got out of there before she had a chance to stop me. Apparently she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder as a teen, but hasn't sought any sort of help for it in almost 30 years.

I decided to just take it and wait until I was old enough to get out of the house. (I only went back for the summer this year because I was too cheap to rent a place for the summer, though I will never make that mistake again.) In the meantime, you can try to do what you can to improve things on your end. For instance, if you haven't cleaned your room recently, then maybe pick some things up. Even if she is overreacting, that should help pacify her and keep conflict at a minimum. You can try talking to her, but be very careful. Since you're not old enough to live on your own, it would not be good if you got kicked out now.

Also, is there any hope of getting help from your dad? I thought I'd managed to burn my bridges with my dad and his wife, but was pleasantly surprised to find that they were happy to take me for the summer. I'm not saying that it will necessarily work out in your case, but it's always good to have a fall back plan.

5. UncertainHopes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im also in a wimilar situation, my mom is diagnosed with depression and bipolar, ontop o that she is also currently going through a divorce with my dad that has her stressed emOtionally physically and mentally. Im trying to get a job and save up so I can move out by the time i am 16 aswell (*hug*)

6. Gen

Gen

Just a disclaimer/background, I have had far from an easy time with my family in the past. However, truthfully I would not say that I recommend people to move out of their house before they have a comfortable way out(College, another family member, etc) because especially being younger than 18, it would be quite difficult to manage a job, school, house, bills, etc. Some oppertunities wouldnt even be available people who are underaged. Now, there are some places around the world where it is alot easier to move out early, I'm just saying that you should really put the time and thoughts into knowing that you have solid plans before doing anything drastic.

I know people can be extremely difficult, but you have to really slow down and make sure that you are choosing the most resposible decisions that will benefit you most in the future. Not just a hasty emotion-driven decision that will give you momentary enjoyment in the presense.

7. The Doctor

Yeah. Today I tried to talk to her, and I asked her calmly to try to yell a little less, and she started throwing stacks of papers around. And my Dad just always sides with her. I'm just going to go for the minimal contact thing. >.<

(*hug*)