1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Fate!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Astaroth, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Astaroth

So, all week I've been preparing myself to come out to my parents on Sunday (as in, today). I have PFLAG brochures, I have psyched myself up to do it for days now, and I have a whole group of friends who were eagerly awaiting the news as soon as I got back from telling my parents...

That is, until I got out of the shower just before leaving to confront my parents. I noticed that my cell phone has a missed call and a voice message from my dad. Uh oh! The warning lights are going off in my head now. Does he know? Did he somehow sense something!? Am I going to have to say it over the phone instead of in person? So, I listened to the voicemail...

"Hey, this is dad. Your brother's been in a car accident. He ran off the road, but he's okay. He may need a ride home, though, because his car needs to be towed to an auto shop. Call me when you get a chance!"

So, it turns out everything is fine with my brother (aside from a broken down car and the fact that I'll now have to be his taxi service to and from work for the next two weeks :frowning2: ), but it also ruined my coming out. I'm so angry right now! I feel guilty because I would never want anything to happen to my family and the safety of my brother is definitely the more important thing here... but I can't help this anger now. This last week has been hell, and it was all pointless because there's absolutely no way that I could just waltz in now and say "I'm gay" right after that news! Argh! Is this the universes way of saying "back off, bitch!"? :bang:

2. Blitzkrieg

I'm sorry to hear that, but don't think of what's happened as the universe's way of telling you to back off completely. If everyone were to take the obstacles in life as negative signs then no one would accomplish anything they set out to do. You'll be able to come out them soon enough, it just might take a little longer than planned. :slight_smile:

3. biisme

no, no it's not the universe's way of saying "back off". it's the universe being an asshole.

try to do it next week. :slight_smile:

4. Emile

Emile Guest

Aawww, it sucks. Great example of unluckiness:frowning2:.

But I'm sure you'll find another time to come out to your parents. At least now you're prepared, so the first step is already taken. Now you only have to come out to them. And maybe this weekend wasn't the right time... life chose to prevent you from coming out... I guess that's what life is... hehe.

Good luck:wink:!

5. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    uh. . .damn that sucks. well, i guess you will have to wait longer now. Anticipation, ya!

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well it didn't work out today. But there is always tomorrow! :slight_smile:

7. Astaroth

Thanks for the support, folks. I guess this is just one of those tests we all go through. All these, years, I haven't been ready to come out to my parents but have had plenty of time and opportunities, and now when I finally -want- to do it, things keep popping up time and again to delay it.

So, I've rescheduled mentally for this Friday now. I guess I just found it irritating that I was -this- close to resolution and now I get to do it all again. Joy! :lol:

8. BreakingGlass

The right day will come, unfortunately, that day just wasn't today. There's always tomorrow. It will all work out. :icon_bigg

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

As others have said, it's just bad luck.

With the other stuff going on you made the right decision to not tell them today. They don't need it today, and nor do you.

Give it a few days then choose the next right time. What about the same time next week? Or later this week? Or tomorrow? You're that close now that you should be thinking of days rather than weeks.

Perhaps you could use it as a lead into the new conversation?

"Hey mum, dad, you know when bro had his accident the other day? Well I was going to talk to you about something then, but it didn't happen. What I was going to tell you is.........."

10. Astaroth

That's a great idea, Paul! I think I might just use it. I'm planning on Friday at this point. :icon_bigg

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Good luck for Friday. Please let us know how it goes.