1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another idea for a coming-out scenario

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BudderMC, Jul 25, 2012.

1. BudderMC

So, my mom should be picking me up from school tomorrow for probably a couple of days. Exams are also next week, so I'm likely going home for the rest of August (which I'm not thrilled about, but there isn't much getting around it).

I figure when she picks me up, before she starts heading home, I can say something along the lines of "So, before we go anywhere, I need to talk to you for a sec, because since exams are next week and I'll be home for the rest of the summer. And well, I'm gonna drive myself insane if I don't tell you now, but I'm gay. I figure you already know, but this way I can stop filtering myself the whole time I'm home."

And then presumably a combination of her and I tell my brother once we arrive half an hour later. And I'll figure out my dad some other time. Anyone see any drastic flaws in that? Offensive wording, perhaps?

Thanks, yet again, for putting up with my wavering. I feel like that's what I do most here: think up a "brilliant idea" then chicken out every time. :eusa_doh:

2. King

King Guest

That's what EC is for - figuring things out. :wink:

I think that works. How do you think she'll react? Will it make for an awkward car ride home? Things are, of course, easier said than done, but it seems simple but thought out.
    Good luck. :slight_smile:

King x

3. BudderMC

It'll probably make for an awkward car ride home, but I figure I put up with it for half an hour and then I can escape to my room to study. I'd be surprised if she wasn't fine with it; she's probably got it figured out already anyways. But at least it gives her half an hour to ask questions/talk about it, because without some forced time I think I'd avoid it like the plague.

4. SocialButterfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just recommend that you do it before she is driving or maybe even drive for her if you can. Not always the best idea to give such big news in a moving vehicle. Other than that sounds pretty good. Best of luck to your coming out!

5. Fumi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my mom just like that, on the car ride home once she picked me up from school. It went smoothly and she was very supportive, but I kinda felt that it would have been better if we had done all the talking face to face, rather than, you know, her looking at the road and me looking at her.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

It sounds like a solid plan. My boyfriend actually came out just like that. Except that he waited until the very last minute and screamed it instead of his rehearsed, calmed explanation that he had planned xD

I say go with it, but don't expect it to go just as you have planned. Make it a goal to tell her before you get home. Don't worry too much at the how really, because it doesn't really matter when you look at the bigger picture :slight_smile:

Good luck!

7. cscipio

You could just let her see you kissing some guy on campus :wink:

Joking, of course. Plan sounds ok to me. I've always preferred the 'safety of the car' my entire life when talking about intimate stuff. Captive audience, nobody else can possibly hear.

Hope it works out.

8. Ianthe

I agree that this is a good idea, as long as you do tell her before she starts driving.

9. BudderMC

I'd actually be fine with doing that... if I had a guy to kiss in the first place. I couldn't even convince my straight friends to do it; the only one who's here is super religious, I doubt he'd be up for it :grin:

Anyways, thanks everyone. Hopefully this pans out. I'm actually... excited to do this. Stoked, even. There's still a little worry in me, but it's far outweighed by wanting to do it this time. I think this is finally (hopefully) the "right time" I've been waiting for.

10. cscipio

Good luck, hope it goes well. Keep us posted.

11. Lad123

Good luck! :slight_smile:

12. timo

It sounds like a good way to tell yr mom, and it seems like you're ready to do this, everything's been thought of. I have nothing advice-ish to add but wanted to say GOOD LUCK! Keep us posted :icon_bigg

13. BudderMC

Thank you thank you. I'm a bag of nerves right now. She says she has work stuff going on right now, but relatively to other days it doesn't seem that big of a deal, so I need to remember that so I don't justify backing out.

2 more hours. Bah.

14. King

King Guest

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

King xx

15. jsmurf

Just do it, dude. You'll be fine. You're over-thinking, it only means you're intelligent.

:icon_wink

16. BudderMC

So, that failed. And by failed I mean never had a chance. I got to the car and noticing something was off and prodding lightly at what was wrong, she basically broke down. Stuff is happening at work that she's really sad about, and today was the anniversary of my sister's passing (which she always takes really hard), which I forgot about. But I think she's feeling a bit better now. At least I did well (for once) at being the nice, supportive, non-argumentative (to her) son.

Surprisingly, I haven't lost hope, which I see as a good thing. I might do it Saturday. Her, my brother, her friend and friend's daughter and I are all spending the day together. I could tell them all at once, seeing as none of them would have an issue with it. I'm just not sure if I'm comfortable with that yet.

Oh well. I'll do it eventually.

17. Lad123

Aww thats a shame! I bet you were like 'great >.>' but yeah saturday sounds like a good idea. Coming out to 4 people at once is a brave thing to do.

18. BudderMC

That was EXACTLY my (internal) reaction, lol. I'm bothered, but not as bothered as usual. I know I want to do it. I know I probably will do it, if I can maintain motivation for the next couple of days. And I wasn't nearly as anxious at the thought of doing it. I'm ready, I think, I just gotta get it done.

19. Lad123

If only I had your mindset of being ready to tell parents. I can't wait to get to your stage! After coming out to my sister last October which was 9 months ago, there hasn't been much progress. I nearly came out to my brother a few times along the way but I chickened out xD

20. BudderMC

Doin' it today. We're out in public (& with other people), so she can't be that upset about anything. Timing should be right. I feel about as good about it as I think I ever will, so I might as well get'er done.