1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking grade 9 course in grade 10

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by imdatguy, Jul 25, 2012.

1. imdatguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, so i didnt do so great in math and long story short i need to repeat the course again at a grade 9 level but im gonna be in grade 10 does anyone have any experience with this or what i should expect ?

2. BudderMC

Well, I've never done it, but here's what I think: It'll be the same course as last time, though hopefully a little easier since you've seen the stuff before.

Oh, wait, I've failed a couple maths in university, so I can kinda relate. Oops.

Anyways, I think it's all about the mentality you take. Sure, it's gonna be a little awkward, but if you go in like you don't care what everyone else thinks, then they won't feed off your awkwardness as much. Not to mention they're all little Grade 9's and new to the school (assuming your high school starts at Grade 9), so they'll have enough issues of their own to worry about, plus you get to play seniority.

Point is, I wouldn't sweat it. Don't act like you're gonna be ridiculed for it and you probably won't. Get in, pass the class, get out. :slight_smile:

3. Peanuts

Eh, it's really not that big of a deal. At my high school, we have a bunch of underclassmen and upperclassmen taking the same courses so no one bats an eye at it. Just go with the flow and since you've seen the material before, hopefully it will be easier for you. Try and make friends with the underclassmen, too. They'll appreciate you especially if you help them.

4. Caoimhe Fayre

I'm not sure about your school, but when I had to retake classes in my highschool, it was fine. I was really nervous at first, but by the end of the first week it became nothing other than an opportunity to make more friends (and get the credits I needed for graduation). In fact, I think all three of my closest friends in high school were in the younger grade, and I wouldn't have traded those friendships for the entire world.

So relax, you don't know for sure who you are going to meet or what friendships or experiences will come out of this - but worrying about it all summer will not make anything easier, it will just stress you out. There's nothing you can do about that failed class right now, so my suggestion is to enjoy your summer, and when you walk into that classroom in September, do so with a confident but friendly attitude.

5. King

King Guest

It'll most likely be the same as if you were taking a grade 10 course. If your school is anything like mine was, nobody will even bat an eyelash. A LOT of kids had to retake courses at my school, including grade 11s taking grade 9 courses. It's the norm, almost.

King x

6. imdatguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Same at my school lol (alot of druggies and under achievers) but id probably be a bad influence for them lol i skip sometimes but i try my best :slight_smile:

7. UncertainHopes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lol I failed gym, so im gonna be in a gr 9 gym class when im a 10th grader, fml. But idc because my gym teacher was an asshole and i hate sports and any physical exercise

8. imdatguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Same here lol but i had my friend in that class and managed to pass with a 60 lol, I feel for you i hate sports too, i dont even know why gym is mandatory anyway.