1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really quite confused

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Koalaman, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Koalaman

So I've been confused about my sexuality for quite a number of years (since I was about 11 at least, maybe longer). Sometimes I think I've figured it out, but then I suddenly get all confused again a few days or so later.

I'm attracted sexually and emotionally to guys. I know that. I'm not straight. That's what I actually know.

It's whether or not I like girls that is the problem. Sometimes I feel sexually attracted to them, and I know I'd be able to have sex with a woman, but I just don't really feel any emotional attraction. And I can't see myself having a family and groaning old with a woman like I can with a man.

Also, I don't really know how to come out or what to say or anything. Especially if I'm somewhere between gay and bi or something. :help:

Just a bit confused and everything. Well, quite confused.

2. Nats

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know what you're talking bout.

I'm a girl and I'm emotionally and sexually attracted to girls, but I'm also kinda attracted to guys. It's confusing, sometimes painfull and it makes my thoughts go like crazy. The thing that we should do is give ourselves time. Years will pass and a day we'll know what our orientation is. Right now just do what feels right, what makes you happy.

I came out saying I'm pansexual (I'm not quite sure), which means that I'm attracted to a certaing person no matter their gender.

You'll be fine, don't freak out cause you'll be more confused and it'll be worse!

Hope I helped. :slight_smile:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Even though you will have moments or days where you feel secure about your sexuality, you are still trying to figure things out, which is okay. Having the moments of where you feel comfortable with yourself, and knowing that you are emotionally and physically attracted to guys is good as it provides you with bit of a grounding.

That said, when you start feeling sexually attracted to women, perhaps pause and try to place that attraction in its wider context. There is a wide ranging spectrum not just on sexual identities but also on emotional and physical attractions. Sexualities are fluid and they can change over time, and we can have different levels of emotional and physical attractions to different people. Try to explore and follow what feels right for you.

In terms of coming out, you don't have to attach a label to yourself necessarily. You can always come out as "I'm questioning my sexual identity and I'm trying to figure my feelings out."

4. Koalaman

I don't know why, but I just don't like that option too much. It feels like people will just assume I'm gay, when maybe I'm bi? :confused: Or that I'm in denial about something (which could be true)

5. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we're raised to believe that we're one thing or another, when in fact all variations are possible.

You might feel confortable being able to say for certain that you're gay or straight because it keeps things simple.

If it turns out you''re bi - that has advantages too! No need to see it as a disappointment.

6. Koalaman

I do agree with that. Being able to say I'm this or that just kind of makes it simpler and easier for me to say. For me it'd probably be gay or bi. I just think I'd struggle to explain being between two labels and I'm not really sure people would explain. I'm not usually too keen on labels, but I think it could be useful.

7. Koalaman

I mean. If I am infancy somewhere between gay and bi. I don't really know how I'd actually explain that to someone without making it sound like I'm in denial about something. And I'm not really a talker either, so I'd struggle to talk about it and probably say something wrong and end up regretting it or something.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the immediate question to ask is, "why would you care whether you're labeled as bi or gay"?

My guess is the answer lies in shame... i.e., internalized homophobia, and not wanting to be labeled as gay or even bi. That's something that most everyone deals with as they are working on coming out.

So perhaps that's something to think about. And when you get to the point you really don't care how someone labels you, then you know that you've reached a point where you're really comfortable with yourself.

9. Koalaman

I thing that what I meant was that I'd prefer to be able to say either bi or gay. Instead of trying to say I'm not sure or somewhere in between, because then other peoe may sart labelling me falsely or something.

I have nothing against being labelled as bi or gay. It's more I don't want to be labelled as one but feel I'm more of the other.

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you come out to someone with "I'm not sure about my sexual identity, and am trying to figure it out," I don't see how someone would label you as gay or bi. If you make that clear, it should be alright. If on other other hand someone labels you as for example gay, after you have come out to them, you can let them know that you are questioning. :slight_smile:

However, given you have said so far, you might want to hold off with coming out, if you fear that people are going to label you with a sexual identity that does not correspond to reality.

11. Koalaman

Yeah. I think so. There's then the problem that I still don't understand my sexuality after years of trying.

12. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes, it can take a while before we figure things out and are clear about our feelings/sexual identity. It's okay to say I'll try enjoying life as best as I can and follow where my feelings lead me, without labeling yourself at this stage. :slight_smile:

13. Tracker57

KM:
    I'm an older guy here. I had the same confusion that you're going through now. I'm 85-90% gay. But I married a woman that I love. Can I function with her? Usually. Would I be happy with a guy, too? Absolutely--probably better. Be happy with who you are. If you want to be with a woman, don't guilt yourself up about it. You can be happy that way as long as you don't open up the what-if file later in life. I have and it's not pretty for everyone. But, be open and honest in your relationship. If you let him/her know up front that you're bisexual, your partner won't be shocked or upset later. But be content with the shades between totally gay and totally straight--it's where most of humanity is!
    Tracker

14. Koalaman

Ok. That does make sense :slight_smile:

15. Koalaman

Homoromantic Bisexual.

Starting to think something like that actually? I'll probably be thrown in doubt soon like I always am when I think I may be getting somewhere. But it makes sense.

Just wondering, is it actually a real term to describe oneself? I think I've heard it before, but not sure if I just sort of made it up or something. Hope I didn't.

16. Koalaman

Already thrown into doubt about whether or not I'm attracted to girls -.-

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a term a lot of people are using, but it's not a recognized term. People are grossly overcomplicating this stuff and splitting hairs in order to avoid dealing with simple truth.

Most likely, you're gay. The problem is, it's hard for many people to close the door on being straight.

When anyone process any loss (in this case, "loss" of being straight), there are stages we go through: denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance.

So when one starts to process the idea that one is gay, the unconscious throws up all these complicating feelings ("But maybe I could be with a woman! Maybe I'm not fully gay!") which are normally part of the "bargaining" stage. But then people started coming up with all of these terms to, essentially, prolong the bargaining stage. I don't think it does people a service.

As others have said, there's no reason to choose a label if you're early on in the process of exploring the feelings. But there can come a point where you're stuck in the "bargaining" stage. For example, there are guys that have never been in a relationship with a girl, don't fantasize about girls, aren't (really, honestly) attracted to girls, fantasize about guys, masturbate to guys, and have relationships with guys... but identify as "bi." Now, at that point, it's sort of silly, and it's just labeling oneself to avoid acknowledging that one is, in fact, gay. That isn't to say that bisexuals don't exist, but for many people, the "bisexual" label is a bridge to being able to accept oneself as gay.

One suggestion Lex makes that often is helpful is to give yourself 2 or 3 days and just decide, for that period, that you're gay. Look at guys, masturbate thinking about guys, and just, in your mind's eye, pretend that you've fully accepted that you're gay. Then, take 2 or 3 days, and do the same thing, fully accepting that you're straight. That usually helps make it much more clear, as one will feel much more "right" than the other.

But the bottom line is, it can take a bit of time to accept where you are, and that's fine. Obsess about it less from an intellectual perspective, and put the time into exploring feelings. :slight_smile:

18. Koalaman

Really great advice, thanks :slight_smile:

Think I'm gonna try that last bit! :grin:

19. Koalaman

So I know I've only done about 24 hours pretending that I've fully accepted that I'm gay. Focusing on guys and not girls and all that. But it already feels so much more "right" than my usual day-to-day life!

20. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great that doing this has given you a few more insights and that it feels 'so much more right'. If it feels right, keep trying to go with it... :slight_smile: