1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrible. Absolutely Terrible.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pain, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Pain

Pain Guest

Hey everyone,
    My boyfriend just told me that his mom found out the other day about us. I am terrified for him. And I've been praying continually since he told me, but the fear hasn't dispelled. My stomach feels so... tight, I guess... and hasn't changed since he told me. We've told each other that this will change nothing between us, and that we'll love each other no matter what happens, but this is just so... scary... I don't know what to do... He told me she was livid... but calmer a little while after, but still...
    What do I do? What CAN I do? Will you all please pray for us at the least? I'm just so... scared for what might happen....

2. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you're so terrified. You're 18, an adult, so you are responsible for yourself and don't have to take shit from people. If your BF is also 18, then what is the worst that can happen?

It wsa bound to happen eventually - can you make a bad situation into something good?

3. Koll

Well that's a rather sour approach..

If anything, it's worse that he's 18. He could be dumped off the streets and his parents wouldn't be liable for it. :dry:

4. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't intended to be sour, Koll.

I don't underestimate that he is feeling worried and concerning but being worried and concerned will not provide a way out of the situation.

I just meant to say that it's not a hopeless situation.

Reading my comment again, I can see why you think I was being negative, but it wasn't my intention.

I believe that sometimes things happen for a reason - sometimes it just takes a little lateral thinking to turn a situation to your own advantage. That's really what I was trying to say.

I apologize if OP felt I was not taking his feelings seriously. :icon_sad:

5. King

King Guest

I'm hoping that everything turns out well for you two. Try not to worry or stress, I know that's way easier said than done (especially from a stranger) but there's no use. Everything will be just fine, I promise!

King xx

6. Aielar

She just found out and so is still processing the news that her son is gay, and still has to make her way through the five stages of grief (anger, etc). I am sure things will turn out okay, just got to wait until the storm passes. Just being there to support your boyfriend is really the only thing you can do in this situation. Hope it works out for you :slight_smile:

7. Bradley

Actually, being 18 is the best case possible. He is no longer legally a child, so they can't force him to do things he doesn't want to do, and he can make a life for himself away from them if they won't accept him. Being underage in a hateful home is a far worse situation.

8. Pain

Pain Guest

My goodness, he isn't 18, thing is. End that, please, I'm in quite a crisis mode, and getting off point doesn't help.

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Pretty much this.

As much as it sucks, you can't really do anything right now besides being someone that your boyfriend can talk to :/

But, give his mom time. You guys might have some tough weeks or months ahead of you, but she should come through at some point. Most parents tho. Be patient and remember that she is trying to process what took you years to understand :slight_smile:

What your boyfriend can do is, with time, give his mom resources so she can help herself out. There is always PFLAG meetings, books or pamphlets that you can give to her.

Try to stay calm for now. Nothing bad has happened just yet. Deep breaths :slight_smile: (*hug*)

10. robclem21

Hey there. I hope everything will work out and no doubt that it will. It may take a little bit of time but the most important thing right now is that you are there for him. Try not to worry so much and focus on being the strong one out of the two of you just so he has someone to lean on. I know it is tough for you and can't imagine how you are feeling, but I imagine he is struggling even more and he needs you to be there for him in whatever way that is.

You made it very clear from your earlier posts that you are committed to each other and will support each other, so try not to think about what will happen with the two of you down the road. Focus on the moment and making sure he is taken care of and that everyone around him (his mom and fam) are slowly getting more comfortable with the idea. It will take time and yes it may change things (for better or worse you may not even know for a while yet) but since you love each other the more important thing is to comfort him in case hes not getting it from other sources.

Everything will be ok and you don't have to freak out.(*hug*)(*hug*)

11. Pain

Pain Guest

Thanks to everyone... I mean, I can't help but worry; these have been the first instances where we haven't been able to stay in touch... Thank you all so much...

12. Doctor Faustus

I'm so sorry about this man! D: I think robclem has the right idea: be strong so he has someone to turn to and confide in. Working things out will be a long and painful process - I just hope for your sake that it ends sooner rather than later.

I've probably just repeated what others have said before, but I wanted to offer my thoughts and best wishes.

Take care! (*hug*)