1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad trying to set me up?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Neutrality, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Neutrality

This might be a little strange but, my dad is dating a woman and it turns out her son is near my age and gay....and apparently we have a ton of things in common...and I'm kind of seeing someone but, my dad wants me to keep an open mind that me and this guy might be a good match and apparently this guy's mom thinks so too.

Anyways, all four of us are going to go out for dinner one night...does anyone have any advice on keeping this from being super awkward?

2. I would go into it with no expectations....especially since you are kind of seeing someone. Not sure how to make it less awkward....personally I always find it awkward the first time you meet someone that people are trying to set you up with. Wish I had some better advice.

On another note....it's awesome to see how much support your Dad is giving you.

3. Neutrality

Yea..I'm not really expecting anything..I just expect my dad to make it awkward =P...even if this guy was like perfect for me and I was willing to leave the guy I'm with for him I think it would be super weird to date the son of my dad's girlfriend...so I don't expect anything to happen.

4. Parents do seem to make situations like those awkward.

And I do understand the weirdness of the idea of dating your Dad's girlfriend's son....but I've known people in much weirder situations and everything worked out for the best.

Best of luck to you!!!!

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Truth be told, it already sounds a little awkward to me. :icon_wink

To begin with, your dad is possibly setting you up with someone who, even if not technically at this point, has a "step-sibling" status relative to you. So depending on how you feel about it, that might be a little strange. Which is not to say unheard of - I do know of one couple who met that way, and my sister was approached that way by a step-cousin, but it never ended up happening. The only real danger, I guess, is that if it doesn't work out for one of the two couples involved but it does for the other, then family events could get a little interesting.

More than anything else though, I would think about your status with your current boyfriend. I remember some of your concerns about him from your previous posts (if this is the same guy), so I can see the attraction of possibly finding someone more available. Regardless, though, I think it would be a good idea to let things play out with your current boyfriend first, or at least have a conversation with him to clarify what you want to do before you do it - if for no other reason, it gives a new prospective boyfriend less to worry about in the future. You might already be thinking about this, in which case great, but I just wanted to mention it.

For now, if you and this guy have a bunch of things in common, including being gay - then great! I see no reason why you can't at least be friends with him, and treating him that way would be entirely appropriate at this point. Just because one of the things you share is your sexualities (assuming that you're even both on the same page) doesn't mean the only possible bond you can share is a romantic and/or sexual one. If there aren't a lot of gay men your age in your area, then it seems like a good chance to get to know one.

6. Loras

Oh boy that awkward! good luck! I really would not encourage you to go out with your dads partners son just think how horrible that situation could turn out in so many ways

7. Night Rain

Ain't your dad amazing? xD Just be yourself and see how things turn out. I doubt that he'll be thrilled to be set up with his mom's boyfriend's son. :lol:

8. Neutrality

Yea Gravity it's the same boyfriend =P...Like I said I don't really want to date this guy...friends would be great though! I'd love a gay friend I can talk to =P..I'm just worried about my Dad and his Mom trying to push us together because of the way my dad was talking about it.

9. Night Rain

It doesn't matter if they really are trying to if you two don't play along. And you're right, you can be friends, which is much better.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm, I think you might want to put distance on there. However, I think that it's great that your parents support you enough that they want you to find a partner.