1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with suicides

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JillandJill, Jul 29, 2012.

1. JillandJill

So the girl I am seeing had a friend recently commit suicide. And even though my cousin did also this year, I have no idea what to do for her. I have let her know that I am here for her but I feel helpless..... any ideas of how I can comfort her or get her mind off it, or anything? She of course is more worried about her friend that was in a relationship with the guy who killed himself but I am worried about her.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently had to deal with a friend that committed suicide. You may think that just being there is not helping much.. it really is. Sometimes it takes people a little while to open up about their feelings. Right now, the emotions may be too raw.

So.. I guess that the best thing that you could do is make sure that you are there for her. I would make sure that you do not push her to talk either. She will talk to you when she is ready.

3. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

Let her know you're there for her if she needs someone to console her, but don't constantly ask her if she needs someone. She will tell you how she feels and what she wants you to do when she's ready. If it just happened recently, she may need some time to herself first.

4. JillandJill

Sounds like I'm doing all the right things, it will just take time now I guess.

5. MariRawr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yep, there's really nothing you can do besides be there for her. I know that sounds negative, but it's not. Being there for someone is extremely important sometimes, especially when they lose someone. I know the reason I was so extremely scarred by my best friend committing suicide because no one was there for me when it happened. Just be there. Listen to her. And if she tries to push you away, hold on tight. It could be her being scared you're going to leave too and she won't be able to deal with that. Talking from experience.

6. suninthesky

Someone I knew committed suicide. It helped to talk with my friends about experiences that we had with him. It was better than acting like it didn't happen - when people do that it sort of feels like everyone forgot him.

7. Ben

Ben

These kinds of situations really require you to listen. It's not always easy to be a good listener, but the main part is to pick up on her 'feelings words' and not to lecture her. As others have said, just being there and showing your support is sometimes the best thing you can do in a situation.

8. MyNameIsCharles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Talking to her and really understanding her feelings and being able to feel some of her pain can help. :grin: