1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can I do to help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by boilingintexas, Jul 29, 2012.

1. boilingintexas

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I joined Empty Closets so that way I could have people that were in similar situations as me to talk to, but I found the Support and Advice section and just couldn't help it. There is a lot of pain and panic that is associated with coming out that I knew happened but I have never actualy seen. I just want to do something to try to help out, but I don't know of anything to do. I firmly belive that no advice is better than bad advice, and I don't have any experiances to draw. My life, while not perfect, is not that bad, I've never had to deal with hate or contempt, and everyone I know is really open to the idea of more tham just heterosexuals.
    Even though I have little to no experiance with almost anything on S&A, I can't help but want to do something. Anyone have any advice or sugestions on what I can do?

2. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being able to listen is a valuable asset. If you can offer people a willing ear, it can make all the difference to someone who feels they are banging their head against a brick wall. And listening is easy, provided you don't get sucked into others' problems and make them your own by obsessing about them "outside work" - a feverish mind seldom works well.

Also, not having experience can be an asset too - it gives an unjaundiced and fresh perspective -so don't underetimate what you can do. (*hug*)