1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly seeing therapist in college?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by suninthesky, Jul 30, 2012.

1. suninthesky

So, I'm heading off to college and I can have access to a therapist without cost/insurance and all that. And even better she has experience with this sort of stuff.

What is a good way to bring my sexual orientation issues up? I've just never really talked to anyone before.

I'd be very grateful if you guys could share any of your experiences with me :kiss:

2. Mogget

Your therapist will ask you why you're coming to him or her. They may even ask about your orientation. But that's the time to bring it up, in the opening session.

3. karl178

As Mogget stated, I think its important to bring it up in your first session. I guess it does not have to be the first thing out of your mouth, but if it is a main reason for you going to see her, then its important you do not dance around the issue. Have a great time in college :slight_smile:

4. suninthesky

I guess I could trust you all and do it first session. :] How is a good way to bring it up? I feel like I'll have a really hard time talking about it. I want to have a plan, or I know I'm going to chicken out and just talk about my other major issue in life right now.

5. orangecat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you start talking about other issues that's totally okay, though you'll eventually have to take that leap of faith you're not forced into telling the therapist straight away (although it would be in your best interest because there will most likely be a rather limited amount of free sessions that you can get from the counseling center). Just remember that unlike other people you might encounter on the street, your therapist is trained to be non-judgmental and understanding of your issues. It is one of the most emotionally safe places you'll encounter in your life.

6. NickD

I know for me, I've always approached therapists as a people providing a service. I tell them everything about me that I deem relevant on the first session, and I let them take it from there (as far as what needs to be worked on the most). Apprehension goes out the window; I'm paying them to help me become a better person, so I don't beat around the bush. But I'm weird like that...