1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acceptance issues?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Arioch8688, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Arioch8688

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't really understand it, but I always somehow feel like everywhere I go, the people there secretly all hate me and find me incredibly annoying. It doesn't make sense logically; I have tons of friends, and they all help me out so much and they're always there for me, so you'd think that would tell me they love me, right? Logically, my brain accepts this, but there's always something else telling me they all hate me and want me gone forever. And this little nagging sense just grows worse and worse and it makes me really depressed quite often. This piles onto all my other stress and I don't handle it well.

I even get that feeling here at EC, which I know is TOTALLY insane, because everyone here is so nice and welcoming and accepting. I'm usually a reasonable person, so it doesn't make sense to me that I keep thinking this way and getting depressed about it.

Does anyone have any idea what I could possibly do to get rid of this feeling? :icon_sad:

2. Samus610

I've been there so many times. Everytime I was around my friends I kept thinking they hated me and that they only hung out with me because they felt sorry for me. I now how depressed you must feel. And for me it was because I had no real friends and everytime I was betrayed, so my mind was basically programed to think this after awhile. Has anything ever happened to you to make you feel this way? Like with me a bad experience with people. And if not then maybe you're just scared of being alone? Or not being accepted? I don't know. But if you ever need someone to talk to you I'll listen and try to help the best I can. And I'm sure everyone else on EC will too.(*hug*)

#2 Samus610, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  3. Arioch8688

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I figure at least part of it has to do with the fact that all through elementary and middle school, all of my "best friends" suddenly hated me and abandoned me after a year. Hmmm, perhaps we've found the root of the problem? I didn't really make real friends till high school, I guess...but, it never really bugged me when I was younger that I didn't have friends...at least, not to an extent where I noticed it. Maybe it was affecting me subconsciously...

4. Samus610

Maybe. And you said your friends really like you and help you out a lot. So I doubt that they will ever hate you. It always seems everything bad that happens to us when we're younger always becomes worse when we're older. But I only think that happens if we let it. You shouldn't let these negative thoughts control you and make you feel bad. If you can maybe take control of it, you won't have these thoughts as much as you do now. Maybe you could also talk to one of your friends about it too. That's another thing that I did. I talked to one of my friends about it and he helped me through it as well as other parts of my depression. I really hope this all works out for you(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) . And really if you need someone to talk to about anything you can send me a PM or email me anytime.

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I get that feeling too...like if I were to put myself in my friends' shoes, I'd see them looking at me like a complete weirdo. I myself am trying to combat this problem as we speak. Everytime I think something like 'Oh God, they probably think I'm a freak', I try to remind myself 'No they don't now stop being ridiculous'. It works..sometimes.

6. Bader

Bader Guest

aawww i dont know what to say except i love you

7. SpikySpice

That's the way I always feel. I think it's because how you feel, or your opinion that people hate you but not the real fact.

You should just relax and stay happy. It's a buggy feeling, but if you can overcome that, you'll fidn yourself in a more confortable zone. Dont let your feeling pull you down, your brain know that peopel love you, but you have to control your emotion. Just be happy, nobody hate you at all.:slight_smile:

Loneliness can cause this too, like when people dont pay attention much to you because they dont have time or stuffs like that making me feel tehy hate me. I always feel uncomfortable to talk to people though they tell me I can talk to them anytime, it's like im distant myself from people

8. Jim1454

I have some feelings like this too...

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with denying your sexuality for a number of years. What I was on the inside didn't match what people saw on the outside, and as a result I always thought that they wouldn't approve / like me if they knew the REAL me.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That kind of early experience will do it... that's quite a lot of betrayal to suffer through.

10. Brett

OMG! Do you live in my head or something? Cuz I feel the exact same way...
    I've been trying to think of something to do about it, but all I can think of is to ignore it for now. I'll tell you if I think of anything.

11. Suede7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arioch,

Your issues are self esteem related. Here's the key.

You're in charge of You! It's really that simple. Once "You" decide "You" will build from there. As you build "You" you build a positive or in this case a negative image. Let's remember 'You" do all of this.
    By your description, you have'nt mentioned once that your friends have outwardly expressed verbally or otherwise that they hate you.
    Do you get that?
    Ok, so then you can actually understand that you have created "a story" in your head that is absolutely baseless.
    Do you get that?
    Good, so now can you actually believe and understand that you are also able to create a new "story" that is equal to your reality. In other words your friends are'nt expressing or demonstrating hatred towards you.
    Do you get that?
    Great, now try to actually apply this to your whole life. "Your in charge......to create your very own reality. It will be what ever you want it to be. How awesome is that?

Here's the good news, you're not alone my friend. In fact most of us question our "worth" instead of seeing our real value. We are very "self critical", this challenge also creates "growth". On the flip side it can be very damaging if and when we forget that we control our own internal opinion and esteem.

So remember.......you're the "gate keeper" of your own thoughts. Be good to yourself. drop the self loathing. Instead try loving "You"

Good Luck with this.....it's hard work.........but.........well worth it!! :icon_wink

Stay Strong & Press On!

Suede7
    Delray Beach, FL.