1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quietly coming out on Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SkyDiver, Jul 30, 2012.

1. SkyDiver

For those of you who have changed your "Interested In" to people of the same sex, how did others react when you first did it? Did anyone notice at all?

2. Mercuree

I have been considering doing the same. Will be interested to see some replies to this thread too!

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to do that soon as well. I think it's far less likely someone will take notice, but you never know. If one person sees it and comments it could start off a chain. So just be prepared when you do it and aware, but also proud of yourself. It's a good way to be open about it, yet not having to tell everyone.

4. Night Rain

Facebook doesn't notify people of your change in "Interested In", so I doubt anyone would notice, and people rarely look at your About page, so...

5. secretguyX

It doesn't? That's the one thing I've been worrying about with changing my interested in, if it would show up as something you changed...

6. SkyDiver

Yeah, you're totally right. I feel like I'm totally ready for it, though. :slight_smile: I still remember the time when I didn't want to be associated with anything that was considered "gay"... and now I'm happy and feel proud when people make those sorts of connections. :icon_bigg

7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can actually hide that part of your profile and I don't think anyone would notice. I've had mine set for interested in women for a while now. If anything, I think my status updates including the person I was dating (we would take pics together) made it more obvious. I wouldn't worry too much though, you are who you are.

#7 pinklov3ly, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

People usually don't notice it unless they are purposely looking for it. The only thing that I will say is that it is public so while the majority of people won't see it, some people might and some people might think you are totally out, which can be awkward if you aren't ready for it.

Either way, go you. Just thinking about changing it is a huge step in the right direction :slight_smile:

9. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I've had my Interested In set since the day I made my Facebook, so, I don't think anyone paid attention to it, and I already probably told everyone I knew about my sexual orientation before I even added them on Facebook, so most people knew before.

10. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you. :thumbsup:
    (!)

It does show up that you changed your interested in, you can delete the update if you want.

11. SocialButterfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just be careful and check, because when I took Men off my interested in it did post as recent activity, but I was able to delete and hide that.

12. Doctor Faustus

I've had it set to 'Interested in Men' for ages and barely anyone's noticed... Except like one or two! :lol:

13. Nightmaric

For me a decent amount of people notice. Mostly because a lot of people stalk me. It does pop up on your news feed if you have timeline. I'd say go for it. It is quiet and it is less stressful than everyone knowing at once.

14. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I changed mine to interested in men and women a couple of months ago. No one noticed, or at least no one's commented. I did take the update off of my timeline. I figure the only times people look at my interested in is if they're facebook stalking me or thinking of asking me out.