1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is becoming a problem....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Merc, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Merc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Basically, I'm having some issues with my cousins. They use a lot of phrases that really, really bug me. Such as the ever so common 'that's so gay' or calling people who annoy them 'fags'. Not to mention calling people on the street gay simply because they look a bit different.

They're really wonderful people, and I love spending time with them, but every time they say those things, it hurts. I'm almost 100% sure that they don't really mean the remarks, and are just doing it out of habit. But still, it really bothers me.

I'm not out to anyone in my family (something that will hopefully change soon), and I really don't want to come out to my cousins simply so they stop saying things like that. Not to mention that they probably wouldn't keep it quiet.

So how do I tell them to shut up without coming out? Because I really don't think I can just sit back and take it anymore...

2. imad

Just say you have a friend who's a lesbian and that it really hurts her when people say that stuff. I don't know if they would believe it or not, but that's all I can think of at this late hour.

3. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Some good advice on imad's part but i personally dont see anything wrong with just saying that it annoys you the same way it'd annoy you if they started calling people niggers. Tell them its not very curtious of them. Sure, this will raise suspicions but look at it as a double win....they might just shut up if they had half a clue, and when you do feel like coming out they already suspect.

If they say "what are you gay or something?" you have one of two choices (probably more but you get the drift):

A# Deny and say it just bothers you and it's just as bad as calling someone a nigger (sorry to say the word but im using it to make a point).

B# Use the "i have a friend" clause as imad suggested.

Sorry if my advice isnt the best, had one of those energy drinks yesterday and it screwed me up so i couldnt sleep and i feel, weird today.